Thread: Keeping Temps and ligjting

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Keeping Temps and ligjting

I've found a lot of mixed opinions on how pacman frogs should be heated and what temperatures they have been kept at. Some people say that 65 degrees Fahrenheit is okay for the lowest and some people say at least 75. Can someone tell me the best Temps and mainly how to set up a heat source. I want to go with a 60 watt night lamp as the heat source but then I'm not sure about lighting, should I have a UVB or will just, daylight or led's do? Thanks

Sent from my 5056X using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Keeping Temps and ligjting

Lighting *

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Keep them between 22-29.4C, with the daytime temps no cooler than 26C. They definitely need it warm and prolonged to the temperatures you have been recommended would cause problems.

I would not higher than a 40w bulb for heat, as they are not a basking species and a heat bulb will dry out the tank real fast. If that wattage of bulb isn't enough, then using an oil-filled radiator in the room to bump up temps is a better option than a more powerful bulb. Heat mats are okay too if used under half or less of the tank and controlled with a thermostat.

The majority of horned frogs are successfully kept without UVB. Adding lights may be beneficial, but there's probably no evidence to support it with this species. Just make sure to dust all food with a good supplement like Repashy Calcium Plus or similar brand that can be used at each feeding to ensure there's no shortfalls of vitamin D3.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'd really recommend checking out Philippe de Vosjoli's book on these frogs, it's all you'll need to know how to raise a healthy pacman. Other books and caresheets I've found seem less accurate

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm96 View Post
    Keep them between 22-29.4C, with the daytime temps no cooler than 26C. They definitely need it warm and prolonged to the temperatures you have been recommended would cause problems.

I would not higher than a 40w bulb for heat, as they are not a basking species and a heat bulb will dry out the tank real fast. If that wattage of bulb isn't enough, then using an oil-filled radiator in the room to bump up temps is a better option than a more powerful bulb. Heat mats are okay too if used under half or less of the tank and controlled with a thermostat.

The majority of horned frogs are successfully kept without UVB. Adding lights may be beneficial, but there's probably no evidence to support it with this species. Just make sure to dust all food with a good supplement like Repashy Calcium Plus or similar brand that can be used at each feeding to ensure there's no shortfalls of vitamin D3.
    Cheers. Really can't thank you enough for the help. I was really confused as to what wattage of bulb I should use and about the UVB part. Also sorry about the typo in the title, my fingers are too big for my phone and autocorrect didn't save me for some reason, and I can't change it now.

Thread Information