Thread: New to the board, African Bullfrog concerns

Default New to the board, African Bullfrog concerns

Hey guys. I was happy to stumble across this board while looking for advice on our African Bullfrog. We just purchased him this week. I was on here a week or so ago checking out the care sheet you have posted, lots of great information. We just received him on Tuesday, have him in his enclosure now and neither my son or I have seen him eat anything in the last few days. Initially I chalked it up to him being anxious in a new environment, but now I'm a bit concerned. We left him to forage for a couple days, and then I placed him in a smaller enclosure with a few crickets to see if he'd bite, and still nothing. I've attached some pics here for your viewing. I'm not sure if its an issue with the enclosure being too big for him. He just hangs in the water most of the time. I put some Thirsty Cricket in a small dish toward his house to keep the crickets from drowning in his pool at the bottom. There's plenty of them moving around, but he doesn't seem interested. I did attach a small heater to the back in the last couple days thinking it might be too cold. His terrarium still isn't getting above 70 degrees, so I'll have to grab something bigger to stick on the side. Just looking for any advice from members, I'd hate to see something happen to this guy. He's a great pal so far, only squeaked a couple times, but seems to be used to things now. Please check out the photos, let me know if I'm missing something. We'll try to hit Petco tomorrow, maybe try some worms or something. I've got him on Fluker's crickets right now, but maybe they are too big. I heard these guys will eat anything they can fit in their mouth, I grabbed the smallest one's I had in my colony. Thanks all!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: New to the board, African Bullfrog concerns

Hi, first thing is the heat< it has to come up. You want your daytime heat to be around 82f to 85f and have a drop in temp at night. Heat is what makes them active and helps them digest food so if its not warm enough he isn't going to want to do anything. The best way to do this is with a heat bulb. I would take that cricket gel out of there because there is no need for it, you shouldn't leave feeders in his enclosure long enough that they become dehydrated or hungry. You should take them out a couple hours after if he hasn't eaten them yet. Also covering three sides of his enclosure will help him settle. Is that top screen or is it glass/ plexiglass? If so you want a screen top so there is good ventilation. To be honest I think once you get his fixed I bet he will start to eat for you. I don't have any of these guys but there care is similar to pacman frogs which I have, hopefully someone else that owns one will this and may have some other ideas. Hope this helps.

Default Re: New to the board, African Bullfrog concerns

Hey Cory, thanks for the reply. We took him out and placed him in one of those small cricket caddys. He ate one right away. I think it might just be too much distance for him to find a cricket. The other frogs we purchased we got as juveniles and they were already able to find food on their own. Since this bullfrog is still a baby, we might just have to set him up in a smaller enclosure with plenty of targets at least until he's bigger and able to move around a bit easier. I'm just glad to see he ate something. Yes, screened top. I will try and cover up the other sides like you suggested, and will look at heat lamps tomorrow. I did have a small heat pad stuck to the side of his cage but it doesnt put out enough heat to change the temp inside. What are the specs on your heat lamp? How many volts/watts?

Thread Information