Thread: Need help building a new home for our tadpole and froglet

Default Need help building a new home for our tadpole and froglet

So... we were "gifted" with one Northern Leopard tadpole and one Northern Leopard froglet by by son's school (yay summer break!)

The two started as tiny tadpoles about 6 weeks ago (I am guessing... could have been 8); one has grown to a small froglet (long tail, tiny front arms, bigger back legs) while the other has no sign of legs yet. We received them in a 2 gal tank with a floating piece of cork, and was told by my son's teacher to keep one inch of water in the tank, but the poor tadpole can barely move.

I have been reading online about these little guys, and there is SO much conflicting information. I want to set them up with the best possible habitat ASAP, but I just can't seem to figure out what they need.....

Does the tadpole need deep water (3+ inches)? If so, won't my froglet drown? I built up a corner of the tank with some thin pieces of stack stone, but it doesn't seem like he is interested in my "stairs". The water is above his head, and he doesn't seem to try to come up for air ever -- is that normal??

Should I separate them into two habitats until the tadpole develops? How much water does my froglet need? And, at what point to I offer him real food instead of the goldfish pellets they came with?

I've only had hermit crabs, mice and about a dozen cats..... I have NO idea what I'm doing.... and I am determined to do as much as I can for these little things.

Help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help building a new home for our tadpole and froglet

If you keep 5-6 inches in a 10-20 Gallon tank that would be best. The froglet will not drown and you can use small styrofoam to float on the water for it to sit on. When frogs they actually like land more than other pond frogs so you can do a half and half setup for them or however you want but they do like to wander on land. They can tolerate you a little but are nervous Frogs. Pothos is good for land and water for the frogs and they won't kill it. Hope this helps! Here is my setup for the Leopard Frog I used to have.
    https://youtu.be/fwFoQPKryo0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information