Thread: Hello from NJ- toad lover, former xenopus addict

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello from NJ- toad lover, former xenopus addict

Hey guys, I am from NJ and I have a passion for toads and frogs. I have kept african clawed frogs, american toads, fowlers toads, cane toad, pacman frog, and a whites tree frog.

Over the years I had to part with my collection as I was in a stage in my life I could no longer provide care for my lovies... However, I am in a better stage and I am hoping to get back in the hobby.

We are moving soon and I wasn't going to get anything until sometime after I move. I think I used to have an account here long long ago but I forgot it and it probably got banned due to inactivity. Eitherway, it was attached to an email that got hacked so I couldnt access it anyways and didn't really care to.

I recall Kurt (if he still is here), I think Jenste, and someone(I think a lady) with a pair of golden bell frogs.

I've been thinking of either getting a 30 gallon aquarium for a pair or a trio of african clawed frogs (I think it was 7gallons per frog) or a breeder for some american toads or fowlers toads.

Thing is, I don't 100% know what I want yet. If I got toads I'd rather wean them off to worms as I despise the idea of crickets and roaches. Crickets are just annoying to deal with and roaches are just gross tbh.

I certainly know I want something captive bred as wild caught tends to carry parasite loads that will eventually kill them off as they're not used to captivity.

I do have a question. If you keep toads in a planted vivarium, do you still need to change the soil? Or will the poop be used by the plants or what?

What kind of plants do well in terrariums and are really hardy? I am so so with plant care.

As for african clawed frogs... how do you keep them in their enclosure? I had lids, even resorted to a metal lid but they would always find a way out the tank... I was thinking if I went with AFC I'd have to buy some thick plexiglass and drill small holes(for air exchange) and have it made the exact size to fit the tank... as they can escape from just about anything.

Never understood why they would try to jump out-- but that's how one of mine died long ago. The rest are still alive somewhere I presume.

I kind of like the idea of albino toads too. But I doubt they're easy to find and sound super expensive. Though I heard from someone long time ago that they're sometimes sold for 50 bucks

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hello from NJ- toad lover, former xenopus addict

Any ideas?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello from NJ- toad lover, former xenopus addict

I don't think worms will be a problem for toads, I have woodhouse's Toads and they love anything I give them. Crickets, roaches, meal worms and earthworms. These days I have a colony of isopods(pillbugs), and they adapted to eating them instead of crickets very easily, in my experience toads are very eager eaters. Don't know about fowlers/American, but I think they're pretty similar from what I've read. I could be wrong, but I think if you wiggle it over them they'll go for it.

Thread Information