Thread: Opinions on cage set up

Default Opinions on cage set up

So me and my girlfriend finally moved our dumpy into a way bigger cage and got another dumpy and since we have done that they both have been as green as can be and was wondering if the setup is good or if we should add some more things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Opinions on cage set up

Looks good! Only two concerns: how stable is that bowl? Also, since there's no backing on the tank you might want to put up a little extra plant material on the sides to make the frogs feel more shielded.

4. This member thanks elly for this post:

The Bowl is wedged and it's for the fogger I made their Bowl they sit in is on the bottom right floor bed and good idea I may do that

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I'd get rid of the plastic plants and replace them with real ones. Live plants are much more natural and help with humidity etc. while plastic plants can actually be dangerous if accidentally ingested when the frog is hunting.
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

7. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Good point diver we are actually looking at several live plants now

I want to set up my tank with live plants too. But all I have are vines that set in constant water. I have dirt substrate and moss at the bottom of my home. But how do I keep my vines alive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You made me want to upgrade my house. So, I had my mom use her recycling genius to reinvent my place. With some used plastic bottles, substrate, and moss, she made it a little more homey for me. Looky here!

Happy Me!

Thanks reptilesinabox

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

For keeping vines alive, pothos can survive a good while in just water. If you want a more complicated live tank, there are instructions in the tanks and vivariums part of the forum. Moss and coconut husk is decent for substrate though. The ABG soil stuff that has charcoal included is probably the best thing for plants and for keeping a terrarium without having to change substrate for years at a time, but what you have is decent. You'll just have to move the plants to clean the tank out occasionally.

I'd argue that plastic plants aren't dangerous unless there are sharp edges or loose pieces. They just need to get cleaned occasionally, but it may be a good idea to remove them just in case.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

With ambush predators like tree frogs, what needs to be borne in mind is that they'll likely ingest whatever their prey was sitting on when they feed. They have evolved to naturally dispose of or pass the things they would encounter in the wild like leaves and soil, but anything spiky and indigestible can be fatal.
    Pretty much all the plastic plants I've seen are either made up of smaller components or can easily come apart when grabbed hold of by strong frogs like White's. They have no advantage over real plants and many shortcomings, no need to use them at all really, they're just not appropriate.

Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

Thread Information