Thread: Extremely Stressed American Bullfrog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Extremely Stressed American Bullfrog

Hello!! My boyfriend and I currently have 2 American Bullfrogs who are male and female. I've had them just a little over a year now. They are housed in a 40gal tank with humidity at around 80 and temperature at about 80 too. It varies through the day. The tank is mostly land with a big bathing bowl for them. They're fed on a diet of crickets with the occasional mealworms. Usually dusted.
    So two days ago we discovered that the bullfrogs were covered in tiny brown bugs. They weren't fruit flies, fleas, or springtails. They looked almost like mites. I believe we might have gotten them from a particularly rough batch of crickets a week or so ago. There were some beetles in the bag too but not like the ones I saw on the frogs. So anyway the next day we fully cleaned out the tank and rinsed off both of the frogs. All of course with dechlorinated water. We placed them back into the tank with paper towels rather than dirt for the time being. I just wanted to be able to see any bugs if there were any but so far they appear to be completely bug-free. My female seems fine and responsive. However, my male bullfrog seems so stressed from the whole situation. He's barely moving and continues to keep flipping over on his back. We've tried placing him in the water in hopes to relax him but after 5 minutes he crawled out and flipped back onto his side. We then later ended up placing him in their cave in hopes to relax him. He is currently laying in the cave belly up but still breathing. Should I flip him back over? Or am I messing with him too much? Part of me wants to take them out again and putting the dirt back in to make it feel like home again but I'm worried that it might be too much on him... Is there anything I can do for him?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Extremely Stressed American Bullfrog

It would be best to put them in a bin they can't see out of so they won't stress as much. More water would be a big answer to your problem because Bullfrogs need more water in the enclosure because they are true pond frogs. You can put them in a plastic bin with rocks sticking out of the water and put the cave in there and check on them every so often until you feel you are done working on their tank. Hope all goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information