Thread: New frog mom help with lighting

Member needs to set country!

Default New frog mom help with lighting

I adopted an albino and I need to know what lighting and heat source is best.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New frog mom help with lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Star8527 View Post
    I adopted an albino and I need to know what lighting and heat source is best.
    These are tropical frogs that need to stay warm.. You need to have a warm temperature that read between 81F-85F during the day. The lowest you want it to drop is at night 76F and reach up to 80F at night. A heating pad or incandescent red or black bulb that doesn't produce light is ideal. You should use a 60 watt to 75 watt bulb depending how cool your house is. You will have to check the humidity because bulbs tend to dry out substrate. A heating pad should have a rheostat connected to it to control how hot it gets.. you do not want to burn your frog. You do no need any lighting for these frog. Albino Horned frogs cannot stand to lights such as florescent lighting due to its albinism. The light will burn their eyes and cause stress.. You need at least 55%-75% humidity. It is deal to use a thermometer/hygrometer that is the digital kind. You can find this at walmart or a hardware store. You need at least 2 inches of soil-like substrate so the frog can burrow. If you choose to use soil, it has to be organic soil with no fertilizers etc. These frogs do well on Coco fiber which is sold as a brick or in a bag at pet stores. You will need to as well cover insects in calcium with d3 and multivitamin. d3 in the calcium is required for Horned frogs because unlike reptiles, they do not bask under a uvb bulb. The blue label is the multivitamin and the pink label is the calcium with d3. Insects should be given a shake 'n bake in a combination of these two calcium supplements at least 4 times a week. You can use a sweater box that is a tub made of plastic or a glass tank if you choose. Glass tends to not hold heat well at all and your frog cage will be cold if your home is cool. Plastic tubs are superior and hold heat and humidity. Provide a varied diet of earthworms or if your frog is large, nightcrawlers from bait shops or walmart section. Other food sources are crickets, Wax worms, Phoenix worms, crickets canned or live. Canned grasshoppers, canned silkworms and once a month baby mice for small frog which are called pinky mice. As your frog grows it can be offered large mice. Feeding frozen thawed mice will keep the chance of a mouse biting your frog, only feed mice as treats at least once a month or every other month. All food items should be tong fed. You can buy reptile tongs in pet stores or online. I currently have a collection of captive bred frog myself: Brazilian Horned frog, Surinam Horned frogs (2) and a hybrid called a Fantasy frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New frog mom help with lighting

Thread Information