Thread: Giant Pixie Frog Setup Help??

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Giant Pixie Frog Setup Help??

I am planning on buying a baby giant pixie frog. I already know the size of the enclosure needs to be about 10 gallons, the humidity needs to be 80-90, temperatures 75-82 (f) and that they need to have a water bowl. The water I was going to use was "100% Spring Water" (Icemountain). Is that water okay to use? And I was going to use the "Moss Carpet" (kind of like the repti-carpet that's green, but this one has moss) for the bedding so I could clean up easily. I've also seen people use this black sponge stuff (not sure what it's called) as a bedding, and towels. I also have one of those small heating matts to put on the enclosure. Is this enough or do I need more?

Food: crickets, mealworms, Pacman frog food (left over from when I had a Pacman, the food is new and untouched), some pinkies.

(I also have calcium for the food)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Giant Pixie Frog Setup Help??

this is wrong and i think i've read the same caresheet you have in the past and batted an eye at it. philippe de vosjoli and bob mailloux's books on these frogs is a must have and it will give you the proper insight into their care. you can fit it on amazon kindle. there's also a care sheet on the forum thst is pretty good.

Nationality
    [United States]

could you please list what I have wrong next time? (ntbr)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

i recommended a book to you which would inform you on right the care and thus highlight the things that are wrong...

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

plus, i wasn't saying you were wrong, it's the caresheet(s) you've read that is. my advice was that book, but i respect the authors a lot for what they've done for this hobby and wouldn't want to copy and paste their hard work to prove a point, it's a must have anyway.

what i can say is that the humidity is rather high. 60-70% RH is fine for most frogs unless it is known that higher humidity is required. i generally just try to keep the substrate moist, it can dry out a little bit. these frogs can tolerate highs and lows because of wild habitat requires them to be able to, but it always means constant high or low humidity will eventually cause problems.

heat mats on the sides are useless as they're contact heaters and most breeders use them on the bottom of racking systems. they also have to be used in warm rooms, or you could end up with the cool side being too cool because heat mats only heat the glass or substrate and not the air temperature. a heat lamp or basking light is more effective. i have my light over top of the water bowl and mine regularly basks under it.

for substrate people use eco earth at 2-3" deep so the frogs can burrow into it. it retains moisture and shouldn't cause any impactions. i normally feed my frog outside its tank in a plastic faunarium, though, just to ensure there's no chance. it always means that you get to check your frogs wright and feed it without insects escaping the frog and burrowing into the substrate.

7. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Thread Information