Thread: males aren't eating

Default males aren't eating

So I have a 100 gal paludarium and I just got 4 whites for it, all rescues and different ages. The paludarium has a waterfall/dripping effect along the back wall that does create a rain effect. This has caused the 3 males to croak occasionally, and 2 of them(newest) are fairly active and explore their enclosure nightly. The third one doesn't seem to want to move and isn't as active, but also croaks occasionally. The issue is that the only frog I have gotten to eat anything has been the female of the group. Do wtf stop eating during the breeding season? Should I remove the drip/waterfall I have setup along the back of the cage or is this unrelated?

Temp runs about ~80 during the day and ~76 at night, with humidity being about 50%

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: males aren't eating

One of the frogs I haven't kept is Whites, but I have researched into their care thorougly and from what I've gathered I would suggest dropping the ambient down to 75-78F at day - 80F being your max, with a nighttime drop to 68F or at least 75F. Many recommend a basking area 85F to 90F.

50% humidity shpuld be fine most of the time, increased with a spraying several times each week is recommended. As long as it's not constantly above 60% there's no need to remove the waterfall.

Hope this helps until someone else comes along

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Temps sound about okay. A drop like Jason suggests would be good though.

It could be you're right and the frogs have been fooled into feeling that it's breeding season. Especially if they think the waterfall is rain. That could have happened if they were especially cold before moving to the tank and now they think it's spring. A slight temp drop might help with that or the frogs might just get over it in time. I don't think the waterfall's a bad thing, overall, like Jason said. But if they don't seem to be settling down and eating and they seem too thin it might be a problem.

Alternatively, the frogs could just be shy after moving to a new tank. I have one that took a while to adjust and I had to resort to leaving a feeding bowl with crickets in the tank, because that's the only way he would take them for a while.

Ok, iI went ahead and set the hotspot of the cage to be 80, so the ambient should be around ~76. Hopefully you both are right and its just the new cage jitters, I will report back to this thread once I got someone eating. I took elly's idea and put a glass bowl with crickets in the cage in hopes they will be enticed by it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

How do you know that the males aren't eating?
    Find me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011064331624

Trachycephalus resinifictrix - Trachycephalus nigromaculatus - Agalychnis callidryas - Agalychnis spurelli - Phyllomedusa sauvagii - Phyllomedusa bicolor - Phyllomedusa vaillanti - Phyllomedusa tomopterna - Gastrotheca riobambae - Anotheca spinosa - Cruziohyla craspedopus - Cruziohyla calcarifer - Hyla arborea - Litoria caerulea.

7. This member thanks Diver for this post:

Thread Information