Thread: Viv/palu size dilemma

Default Viv/palu size dilemma

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, or the 'frog' sub forum.

I'm having a moral dilemma that has been at the back of my mind for a while now.
    Is my tank big enough for the frog I want?

Which is a eastern banjo frog, Limnodynastes dumerilii, which is a burrowing frog common in Australia.

The aquarium tank is, in inches,
    36l x14w x 18h, and its a burrowing frog that could grow as big as 8.5cm / 3.5in.
    I've planned a water section for about 11inch in length. That leaves about 2ft for land space, I plan on limited plants (a climber for the back wall + maybe a couple more on the edges, depending on how they handle be trampled).

I don't know what height the adult frog can jump.

And I'm really worried I'm going to hate myself for keeping such a large frog in a smallish tank.

I don't want to keep a creature if I can't make it happy, that's a failure and defeats the purpose.

I do want to keep a frog that we have raised from an egg, and I do want to support my 4yo's love for all creatures (especially frogs, reptiles and creepy crawlies). So I'm totally torn between keeping a frog because my son would love it (I want to too, but I can let it go), and thinking this species may not be suited for us or the tank we have, at the least.

What do you all think?

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks Calayvie for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Viv/palu size dilemma

3 feet for a terrestrial frog is above excellent for a captive home. Most of the time people get frustrated with people asking to keep frogs in a 10 Gallon or something as small as possible. IMO this is a good setup. I'm semi familiar with that species from care sheets a while back, but as long as you have a willingness to research this frog and you continue to provide for it then you will be great. May I recommend pothos or devils ivy? It grows in water and on land. It is one of the most durable plants and will be great for that setup. If you have a lid for this enclosure you are good to go. I hope this helps you! Happy Easter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Default Re: Viv/palu size dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    3 feet for a terrestrial frog is above excellent for a captive home. Most of the time people get frustrated with people asking to keep frogs in a 10 Gallon or something as small as possible. IMO this is a good setup. I'm semi familiar with that species from care sheets a while back, but as long as you have a willingness to research this frog and you continue to provide for it then you will be great. May I recommend pothos or devils ivy? It grows in water and on land. It is one of the most durable plants and will be great for that setup. If you have a lid for this enclosure you are good to go. I hope this helps you! Happy Easter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thankyou Larry for the response!

Ugh. It breaks my heart that frogs are kept in less than fair enclosure sizes. [emoji45]
    Why anyone would want to keep something that wasn't happy, I don't know... But I guess experience, awareness and education make a lot of difference [emoji3]
    But Thankyou for confirming that my tank size was reasonable. [emoji4]

Thankyou for the plant recommendation, I will check it out. I got over-excited about my viv early on and purchased a few plants and then realised the frog will probably trample them! I'll mostly have only a climber on the wall and I've got a climbing fig for that, would like a couple of tough plants in the corners, probably only one back right corner actually, but I'll see how I can fit the pothos in because, especially a variegated version, would look good i think. [emoji4]
    I want to leave as much land space for the frog as possible, besides his pool. I've seen how the froglets swim about and I think I'd be depriving the frog if I didn't give him some space in water to kick about, [emoji4] the thought makes me smile.

I'm still a bit torn. I think only experience will teach me this one for sure. But I do Thankyou for helping me to feel better about the size. I really appreciate it! And really.... I can always upgrade his tank size when I can afford it, if I feel its necessary. I hadn't thought of that before... But yeah although expensive, I can find a way to do that if I dont feel good about his enclosure when he's fully grown.
    I MUST remember this!!! This tank doesn't have to be forever!
    If he's worth keeping, he's worth keeping happy!

Haven't got a lid yet! The tank came with glass lids but I want to make a screen lid with wood and aluminium screening. Never done this before so a good learning experience! I have siliconed the glass corners of the top ledges where the glass lids sat, using air hose for most of the glass ledge edges, to protect the frog if he can jump that high. Now I need to make the screen tops. Not sure if all screen will be too much air or not, I can always place a piece of glass over the top. But its not a rainforest type of frog so as long as it stays moist (and the water section will help that I imagine) then it'll probably be fine.

I haven't been able to find a lot of info on this frog specifically. People seem to recommend care sheets for similar type frogs, buts its an in-between type of them I think. I will have another good search though.

Happy easter to you too! [emoji3]

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

7. This member thanks Calayvie for this post:

Thread Information