Thread: WTF Nose Issue

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy WTF Nose Issue

I picked up a male and female WTF (both 1-2 years old) from a person moving out of state. I already have two WTF (pair) and since I have the tank space (extra tanks ready for inhabitants) I thought I would take this new pair.

Well, I saw them in pics before I picked them up and they both appeared healthy. When I got them they were in vented tupperware containers, so it was not super clear what they exactly looked like. When I went to put them in their separate quarantine tanks I noticed the male had deep tissue damage to his nose/eye area (see attached pictures). Now I have never seen anything like this in person or online, so I could use help figuring this out. He does not scratch at it. He also seems very robust and active, healthy weight. I have had them for 3 days and neither has eaten yet, though I expected this. The woman I got them from was feeding them mealworms only (eek). I feed my frogs dubia roaches with the occasional (freshly decapitated) superworm as a treat, so his diet will be changing. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: WTF Nose Issue

Pictures didn't seem to load properly, so here they are again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Huh, that doesn't look good but it may be impossible to do anything about it. (Unless it gets infected and that can be treated.) I'm assuming it's scarring from rubbing his nose against something, but I'm not a vet. If it's just a scar he should be able to live a full life. It's encouraging that he's moving around. If he keeps not eating for more than a week or two you might want to try mealworms even though they're not really good for frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Huh, that doesn't look good but it may be impossible to do anything about it. (Unless it gets infected and that can be treated.) I'm assuming it's scarring from rubbing his nose against something, but I'm not a vet. If it's just a scar he should be able to live a full life. It's encouraging that he's moving around. If he keeps not eating for more than a week or two you might want to try mealworms even though they're not really good for frogs.
    I will use the mealworms if he has still not eaten by tomorrow night. I will try and toss in a Dubai roach or two if he will take it. He doesn't have any drainage from the spots or his nose, so it looks clean. Hasn't had any change since I got him for better or worse.

I have never had to quarantine frogs before, so how long is a good time to quarantine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It may be too late to quarantine if they've been together, but otherwise I'd wait to see until the quarantined one seemed to perk up.

Nationality
    [United States]

It may be too late to quarantine if they've been together, but otherwise I'd wait to see until the quarantined one seemed to perk up.
    I quarantined the male and female separately. Both finally ate. I ended up getting crickets since they would not go for the roaches. Both look healthy and are moving around just fine. The male still has the marks on his face and there seems to be no change.

Should I continue to quarantine the male? Female looks great and I want to move her in with my other two.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'd put them together.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd put them together.
    Will do!

Nationality
    [United States]

His nose is looking ok. It almost looks like his skin is trying to cover the spots. That could be wishful thinking in my part, but in any case he appears healthy in every other way. He has also joined my other WTF's without any issues so far. [emoji16]

Thread Information