Thread: How do I introducing New African Clawed into existing tank? With Goldfish?

Nationality
    [United States]

Question How do I introducing New African Clawed into existing tank? With Goldfish?

Hi All,
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions..........
    I will be "adopting" someone's 8 year old green African Clawed frog and I already have a pair (male/female) of albinos in a 30 gallon. Also have a 30 gallon with 2 medium & one regular, skinnier fancy goldfish.
    I've had my albinos about 4 years and they're pretty rotund and seem happy (very happy as it seems every few weeks they do the happy dance and the tank is filled with eggs.)
    My question is how can I introduce the new one (not sure if male or female yet and I don't know how big it is as I haven't seen it and I won't see it until it arrives at my door.) Can I put it in the existing tank or will that create an issue with fighting or anything?
    Can I put it in with my goldfish or will they end up being a snack for the new guy?

I've had more than 2 frogs before but I bought them always together and they grew up with each other - so this is new for me.

Thank you!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: How do I introducing New African Clawed into existing tank? With Goldfish?

Would definately suggest adding the new frog to the exsisting frogs before contemplating the fish!
    Unsure the best route with intoductions but these guys are very sociable generaly speaking
    What you could try for short period split the existing ones apart then add new addition to the single frog
    If there's no rucus add them all together " would also suggest there well fed prior to all this*

If you go down the goldfish route its a big risk, Not only with the frog snapping at them but also the water quality
    and you will almost likely end up having to hand feed the frog as goldfish are very demolishing at food,
    Your nitrates might rocket very quickly and be prepared to change 1/3 of the tank twice a week.
    One of my goldfish actually prunes the frog and there both happy��

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: How do I introducing New African Clawed into existing tank? With Goldfish?

Thank you Craig.
    I'm trying to find out what sex the frogster is, hoping it's a female to give my current one a break from the constant attentions of the male.
    Will post when I get the new one!
    Thank you again!

Thread Information