Thread: Had my frog a little shy of a month, couple of questions

Default Had my frog a little shy of a month, couple of questions

I sort of impulses bought my first pacman frog a little shy of four weeks ago. I had been planning to wait a few months until a local reptile expo, but I was poking around a random pet store and found a nice albino (it's a bright yellow/orange, was labelled something like strawberry pineapple?) and figured I would just do it now.

So, my first concern, I guess? Is that my frog will occasionally erupt out of its hole and storm around the tank, flailing around at the sides. I have just kind of assumed this meant it was hungry, since it would quiet after being fed and would go back to its hole like nothing happened. This happens usually when I first wake up, especially after its 'rest' day (I feed two days in a row then take one day off, when I first got it I offered food every day and it only took a very small bit of food on the third before rejecting everything) and more rarely at night around when the usual feeding time is. Is this a normal thing? I always hear about how they just sit there and ambush things, it's so weird!

My second question is, how does one properly dust earthworms? I have tried a few times and my pacman just seems to wipe most of it off with its foot while stuffing worms into its face. I assume it still gets some of it, and I dust crickets as well which are a one-bite food, but I really want to lower my feeding of crickets. My frog only seems to eat from tongs, and crickets are so annoying to tong feed. It was fine when it only ate like five when I first got it, but now it's eating closer to a dozen. Not fun.

For reference: My pacman lives alone in a five gallon, the frog itself is getting close to the three inch range and will eventually move to a 10 gallon I have. It's heated with a red heat light on a dimmer, with a daytime temperature of between 80-82F-ish and a nighttime temperature of around 76-78F-ish. The humidity is usually around 65-80%, it's a bit dry in my house so it drops pretty dramatically during the night! I'm using a digital thermometer and an analog hygrometer, I tried using a digital one but it was just all crazy with its readings. I may try to find a new one in the coming weeks. The water is just tap water treated with Prime. The tank has eco earth and a small water dish. I tried using a hide, but the frog used every corner but the hide corner so I just took it out. I have three sides of the tank covered, and the lid is about 90% covered with tinfoil. It eats nightcrawlers as well as crickets, I have tried offering mealworms but it spit them out, so I don't know about those. I dust about every other feeding with calcium with vitamin D and about once every week and a half or so with multivitamins.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Had my frog a little shy of a month, couple of questions

Looks pretty good husbandry wise. As for the hyperfrog activities, not sure. Could be nothing, could be something. For calcium d3 dusting worms I rinse the worms off then dry them with a paper towel. Pour some powder onto the paper towel and drag the worm through it. You could try feeding smaller pieces of worm so the frog can eat in one chomp, but I wouldnt worry. You can cut from the tail side. The vitamin dust turns the worm into goo, so I use crickets or diubia for vitamin day.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thread Information