Thread: Any successes in treating red leg?

Default Any successes in treating red leg?

I took my ~6yo ACF to the vet for signs of red leg yesterday and low and behold... We caught it early, with no open sores, and so the vet seemed optimistic. Our treatment plan consists of saline baths twice a day and a topical 0.1mL dose of baytril every 24 hours. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning to find that her little hind feet have sprung a couple of (tiny) open lesions. I doubled the antibiotic dose today so that I could target some of the sores. Have any of you had any success in treating this disease? I would love any suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Any successes in treating red leg?

There is no cure for red leg prevention is the only way to prevent
    Euthenise imediately if your already 100% sure its redleg its a very painful
    death
    Causes of refleg usually stem from poor water conditions and thriving bacteria
    Prevention frequent water changes with added stress coat and lymnozime dosaged
    Correctly

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Conflicting info taken from another website

Red-leg:
    The most infamous frog disease of captive frogs, Red-leg is usually caused by the parasite Aeromonas hydrophyla. It appears as a reddening of the skin, particularly on the belly and underside of the thighs, (not to be confused with the natural colorings of some species of frogs!) Frogs that get red-leg tend to act apathetic and lazy. This is a really lethal disease so isolate the affected frog(s) right away! Sometimes in the case of newly imported animals it is more likely due to abrasions caused by dry packing, like cardboard. In the latter case, the only treatment necessary is to correct the cause and keep the affected animal(s) in an incredibly clean cage for a few days. Otherwise, redleg caught in it's early stages can sometimes be treated by bathing the frog in a Sulfamethiazine bath (15 ml for every 10 l water) daily for 2 weeks, or a 2% solution of copper sulfate or potassium permanganate for the same period. If it shows no signs of getting better after the first week, sometimes you can treat them with the use of an antibiotic like tetracycline,

Quote Originally Posted by ewills View Post
    I took my ~6yo ACF to the vet for signs of red leg yesterday and low and behold... We caught it early, with no open sores, and so the vet seemed optimistic. Our treatment plan consists of saline baths twice a day and a topical 0.1mL dose of baytril every 24 hours. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning to find that her little hind feet have sprung a couple of (tiny) open lesions. I doubled the antibiotic dose today so that I could target some of the sores. Have any of you had any success in treating this disease? I would love any suggestions.
    I do wish you good luck with treating your frog, but I would just like to point out (please accept my apologies if you are aware of this and altering dose knowledgeably or in agreement with your vet) that more is not necessarily better when dosing with drugs. Doubling the dose of antibiotic increases the risk of toxic side effects, and unless you have knowledge of veterinary pharmacology and physiology you should not be doing so without discussion with your vet. Not commenting specifically on your case since I don't know the concentration of drug involved, but I feel the point needs to be made.

Thread Information