Thread: Wanting advice on resetting Frog Terrarium

Nationality
    [Australia]

Default Wanting advice on resetting Frog Terrarium

So, my previous Terrarium build is now ant free, but at the cost of substrate. I was wondering, since it has a very large dry dock already installed, in this 3 foot long, 2 feet wide, 2 feet tall tank, it has about half a foot either side of the dry dock, which is curved lightly and smack bang in the middle, and can't be removed without damaging the glass. There are 3 adult Green Tree Frogs in there, with a few places for them to hide and a clean 2l ice cream tub full of water. I was wondering, should I set it up like a fish tank? It was originally built for turtles, and houses baby turtles very well. The water would be nearly a foot deep, and the plain dry dock can be covered with ornaments and false plants. I could then use aquarium substrate and plants in there, and still have the original filter for that tank. Should I do this? There is a very high risk of the water attracting snakes due to the area I live in, but when I set it up as a terrarium, ants moved in and my frogs got attacked, one had to go to a wildlife center for treatment and I haven't heard anything since, even though I left my details with them. They are wild caught frogs, but the pond they came from was in a lot that was empty for a very long time, and ever since people moved in all the animals are keeping away from it, even the kangaroo mob, and it is the only pond for a good kilometer. There's a river around 1-2 kilometers away, but I'm not sure the frogs could make that journey and the snakes have already eradicated the frog population in other areas. If I do set it up like a fish tank, there's also another issue: There is freshwater slime mould in our tap water right now, so that water might not be able to cycle properly like a fish tank. I'm not sure what effects it would have on the frogs. If you think I should set it up rather than leave it bare bottom, should I put hiding places underwater, heavily plant it, and cover the dry dock with some kind of fake plant? I have some driftwood that could also be used for them to climb out, all the stuff in their terrarium was fishtank stuff removed mostly because of ramhorn snail eggs. But since then it has been in contact with a cactus mix soil, as has the rest of the tank, it's what I'd used to plant some ferns and set it up before it had to be taken out due to the singapore ants moving in. Will it be safe and how should I do it? I have containers I can keep the frogs in while setting it up. My biggest concern is the crickets I buy for them have a very nasty habit of drowning themselves, which badly fouls the water rapidly and the frogs won't eat them once they're dead. I could feed them in a separate container if that's needed. I have a mini terrarium in a 14 inch long tank that is 7 inches wide, it has mostly peat moss as soil as well as 3 mother in laws tongue miniture bromeliads in it, I'm breeding crickets in there. So many baby crickets.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Wanting advice on resetting Frog Terrarium

Reading your post I get a little lost as to what is the question. But you need to decide what it is you are going to keep. Mixing different types of frogs, lizards, gheckos and such is not generally recomended. It just compounds trying to get the specific habitat correct for the specific beast. Also the natural defenses of the creatures might is likely to be hazardous to different things forced to share a smaller territory than they would in the wild. Putting small fish in the water feature is probably okay, provided you don't care if they occasionally get eaten by the frogs or whatever else is in there.

You mention tree frogs. So have you looked at Green Tree frog care and habitat articles on the web? With that knowledge you should look at as many articles as you can for vivarium construction. There are many different types of viv' construction. Some basics explained here..... http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=32167 Then you have to look at your abilities, what you already have and what you are willing to spend.

I have fire belly toads. They love spending time it water. For any frog that likes water as much as they do, I'd favor the "drainage layer" or "false bottom" construction or a hybrid of the two. My current 10 gallon (38Litre) viv just uses the drainage layer method. on the wet side there is a single layer of gravel, then for the dry side the layers of gravel are increased to just above the water level which is what I build the substrates on for the land feature.

If you are going to raise your own crickets, you will quickly have many more than you want. And the extras must be destroyed if they can't sold, given away for other to use as feeders or such. You can't just release them live into the environment. In fact you should not ever release any store bought pet into the environment and likely should not release any wild caught thing that have be kept for any length of time as a "pet". In general, IMO, most frogs live much longer in captivity than they do in the wild. You shouldn't feel bad about releasing wild thing you only kept long enough for them to heal from injury. And don't feel bad if they wind up getting eaten. That's life. Their misfortune is food and life for another.

I raise my own crickets. You will need at least three to four containers to assure yourself a brood that is feeder size for your frogs and such. Generally they hatch and live in one container until I destroy the unused. When they reach breeding age, I collect a day or two's worth of egg laying in a small container of moist coir and then move that container to a new container where they'll hatch and live for the cycle to repeat. If you have more questions about crickets ask in the forum: Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc

questions about frogs and their habitat should be ask in the forums specific to them. IE. question about green tree frogs and their habitat should be ask in the forum: Tree Frogs

Nationality
    [Australia]

It's just those 3 frogs, I need to know how I go about setting it up like it was made for, full of water up to the dry dock. Nothing will be mixed with them. I'm keeping them because aside from always wanting frogs the drought here sucks. I thought I was pretty clear, please reread the first post after reading this, I'm desparate. I don't want to have them in a bad setup!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well your viv setup is dependent on what type of habitat your frogs need. The question of habitat needs to be ask in the forum appropriate to the type of frog they are. And you should be googling for articles on specific care and habitat for them.

Many of the users of this forum only go to one or two sub-forums on a regular basis. And the one they go to the most is the one for their frogs. So if you have tree frogs, then that is where you'll get your habitat question for them seen and answered by people that have tree frogs. There is a fair amount of activity in that forum, but I don't see a lot of those users frequenting this or other forums. Likewise I only have fire belly toads, so I only frequent the "Fire Belly Toad" forum, this forum and the "Food, Feeders,......" forum.

You can set the tank you have up anyway you want, irregardless of what it's intended purpose and setup was. This sub-forum is more about helping you with actual construction ideas and methods. But you have to know what habitat you are trying to create.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I've seen another posting about tree frogs so I was curious and browsed the internet some. I found this that is specific to Australia...... https://frogs.org.au/x/media/cs-caerulea.pdf

Note the legal issues you need to be aware of at the bottom of the last page.

Nationality
    [Australia]

I have a reptile liscense and know I can only release them back onto my land and cannot mix them with any bought frogs. Here in Queensland, with my reptile liscense, it is competely legal for me to catch non endangered frogs on my property to keep, so long as I do not mix them with other frogs that were bred.

Nationality
    [Australia]

Well, I'm leaving this forum. Takes far far too long to get a response on here. And the site keeps timing out quite often on my end, sometimes for days in a row... What's the point of asking for help here when it takes weeks to get a response?

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yeah, I know how you feel. I wouldn't advise anyone to leave, but if you really want to, maybe reptile forums UK might be a good fit?: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/

Thread Information