Thread: Small submersible water filter for terrarium?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Small submersible water filter for terrarium?

I'm upgrading to a 24lx18dx36h exo terra terrarium. I'd like to have a divided wall with a water section so I will need a filter. What types of filters do you guys use? I'll need a pump because I want a waterfall so I'll need a pump AND a separate water filter, right?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Small submersible water filter for terrarium?

You might be able to just get away with putting the water pickup line under some gravel with a piece of screen as a final barrier. But no matter what you use, plan for it to clog up. So make sure you design things so you can easily clean it without having to tear up your viv.

I don't use a filter in my viv, but I don't have a pump for my water either. I don't care for dividers for the land and water. Seems like either one of two things is going to happen. The divider will either leak into the dry substrate eventually causing a mess. Or, if you have live plants, you'll eventually over water them and again you have a soggy mess that will have to be re-built.

I just pile up gravel till it's above the water line for my dry side. Cut a piece of nylon screen to cover that, and pile on the other substrate... coir, moss, soil or whatever. Then live plants can grow roots down to the water in the drainage layer and help keep your ammonia levels down in the water. Ammonia is nitrogen for your plants.

If you don't want live plants or your viv is so big that gravel will be too heavy, then I'd consider a "false bottom" type construction.

Also, Hydostone or other expanded clay products can be used instead of gravel. It is much lighter. Places that sell aquponics and/or hydoponics supplies sell a version of hydrostone that is much cheaper than Hydrostone. But you might have to buy a larger quantity.

Nationality
    [United States]

okay I see. That makes sense. I do plan on having live plants so I was going to build a false bottom. So I could have a water table then build a shelf to put the substrate on? I don't think I want gravel because this is for WTF. But wouldn't I still need something to filter the water clean?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by stinax182 View Post
    So I could have a water table then build a shelf to put the substrate on?
    Yes, that is exactly what you can do with a false bottom construction. Since you want live plants, you can adapt some techniques that aquaponic and hydroponic growers use. So try to google or youtube info on that an adapt it. Of course you won't want to use the fertilizer solutions that they do, but the techniques and plant science do have applications in viv's. Viv plants don't need the nutrient levels that plants grown quickly for food do.

I don't think I want gravel because this is for WTF. But wouldn't I still need something to filter the water clean?
    Don't know anything about WTF's. Not sure why gravel is an issue for them. It doesn't even have to be exposed to them. One of the things I like about gravel or expanded clay (hydrostone) is that it provides a place for beneficial nitrobacter and nitosomas to colonize in the water . These help clean your water biologically (if you are interested in beneficial biologic controls you should read up on them). The aggregate that you use in the drainage layer can also be a first defense to help strain your water as it travels to your filter, hopefully making it more trouble free.

One of the other things gravel or aggregate of some kind does is take up space, so you don't have to have as much water. Gravel is heavy though. Lighter stuff is available. Stuff that is too light will need some kind of barrier to keep it in place. All can be hidden with other materials.

But gravel or aggregate is not a necessity. So don't let me lead you to something you don't want. Viv's, Aquariums, whatever, should be what you are comfortable with building and maintaining.

But wouldn't I still need something to filter the water clean?
    I just can't help you with what to pick for filtration as I don't use any in my small viv. I just change the water every ten days. It's only a gallon. If WTF's spend a lot of time in the water, then the water quality will be more important. If they seldom go near the water, then it's less of an issue.

Thread Information