Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Uh Oh. Gonna have babies

This afternoon I examine my tank. I'm trying to remove all of the mosquitofish from my tank so that the shrimp can breed without getting eaten. I've gotten five of them, the sixth is elusive.

I've seen my six toads mount each other before in dominance displays.

Last night was a little different. The result was frog eggs.

The 'yolk' is about 2-3mm in diameter, there appear to be two transparent encapsulations making the overall sphere about 4mm in diameter.
    I can see maybe 20 eggs. There are no doubt a handful I cannot see.
    I figure they are probably fertile, as I have plenty of males. I still haven't worked out which one(s) is a female.

Uh. Wow.

I can't really effectively move my adults from the main tank somewhere else. But I could take out tadpoles and put them into a small 'satellite' tank.
    Since I don't think I want 20+ frogs, I have a feeling that these newcomers are all destined to be eaten in some way at some point.

I feel proud to have provided my frogs an environment where they feel comfortable enough to do tha nasty.

Any advice?

Default Re: Uh Oh. Gonna have babies

I would probably move the adult and eggs to a different tank, but do you want the extra toads?

Nationality
    [United States]

Just wondering what kind of frogs, I don't know if i keep skipping over it or if it's mentioned. But definitely separate babies and parents.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just kidding, I see now that it's in a fire belly toad section or whatever this is, lol I just started using this sorry

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Fire Belly Toads. I got them about seven weeks ago or so. Put 'em into a 30 gallon tank with 11 gallons of water, lots of interesting habitat. Added some cherry shrimp to the bottom of the tank to help clean up, which they do well.

I'm torn. I've never been through this process.
    I want to see the little ones emerge because I know they will be so cute.
    But I don't have space for keeping all of them, so...I guess nature will take it's course in some way. Which probably means a meal for the adults.
    But the little froglets will be so cute and the whole process will be fascinating to watch.
    Until they get eaten.

I suppose I could devote my entire house to fire belly toad aquariums. ah, the process of impending madness.

I do have a second 5 gallon tank attached to the first via a siphon. Currently it has only vegetation in it. So I do have a 'hatchery' of sorts all set up and ready to go; I would eventually need to add some sort of haul-out by the time they transformed.

Yeah. The babies will prob eat fish food and tetra discs or something like that. I don't much about fire bellies and if you should keep the eggs with the adults or not. I usuallly deal with bullfrogs or painted frogs.

What I would do is seperate the eggs and wait till they hatch and then give em to the local pet store.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ideally, I would leave the eggs alone, remove all of the adults into another tank. I do not have that other tank that can fit six adults.

Since they apparently like to hump my Elodea sprigs, I traded eggy sprigs for non-eggy sprigs. Now the 4 gallon satellite tank has three eggy sprigs (about 15 eggs) and no adults. And there are fresh sprigs in the main tank if they want to lay more eggs on them. There's gotta be at least 10 more eggs i'll not be able to get to, so when they become free swimming, I'll try to net them.
    Same water, same temperature, so no shock there, I hope.

There are lots of good help sheets out there. Including one on this website. I can see that if I continue down this path, i'll need special foods and a different enclosure for the little frogs at some point.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Eggs:

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

I’d love to see some pics of your current setup. Sounds like you have some happy froggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Two more pics:

Name:  DP6C6048 copy.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  DP6C6050 copy.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  84.4 KB

In the second photo, you can see some clingers in the upper left and a tadpole of the 'first generation', not quite the size of a jelly bean.

you can see my tank uses acrylic stands to elevate a hollow log feature so that it's half way out of the water.
    moss balls. Plenty of little nooks.
    also, frogs and shrimp and snails.
    the blue thing in the background is an intake filter to keep the babies alive. I just buy filter material in bulk, it has to be replaced weekly.

so many eggs yet to hatch. there are only a few eggs that have failed. there are tons of clingers and rather a lot of eggs that will hatch shortly.

soon the tank will be 'bedlam'. when the tadpoles get larger, they are really active, especially at night.

I put shrimp pellets in, a few leaves of wilted spinach. Any cricket that sinks also gets eaten rapidly. I found last year that the environment and diet of this adult tank is way better than the isolated tank approach I tried.

Last year I hooked up a side tank with a siphon that basically, over time, gently shuttled all of the tadpoles into a nursery tank via the siphon hose. Although I could observe them easier, they failed at a significantly higher rate. I saw no 'floating dead tadpoles' in the adult tank at all.

when they emerge in many weeks, i am considering a second enclosure of some sort. if I start setting it up now, that would be good. lol.

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

Thanks for sharing! Your tank is really pleasant to watch. Love the mini ecosystem

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

well, the hatching appears to be over. maybe a hundred clinger tadpoles. impossible to count accurately. almost all of the eggs hatched.
    my tank will be swarming with activity in a few weeks.
    good lord so many little ones.

it'll take some time to figure it all out but if my internet connection is good enough, i hope to put up a frog tank webcam soon.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

well, there are no more clingers tadpoles as of yesterday. they are all swimmer tadpoles now and all eating constantly.

food:
    I toss a few leaves of spinach into a pan of boiling water, wilt it, then the spinach goes into the tank. When the spinach is gone, more.
    I still have a few shrimp tablets from when i bought the cherry shrimp. I throw in two tabs at a time. When the tabs are gone, more.
    The tads also spend lots of time eating the algae off the glass.
    They spend time chowing on the slime on the bottom of the tank.

later on as more spinach gets eaten, I can expect my pump intake filter to become quickly clogged with green foul smelling goo.

now when a frog 'startles' and swims and hides in the bottom of the tank, it ends up disturbing a handful of tadpoles, who go swimming and end up disturbing more tadpoles. very very active tank with about 12 large tadpoles and maybe 75 small ones. everyone seems super healthy and active so far, and developing quite fast.

it is interesting to me that as soon as the tadpoles start eating, they also develop a 'gulp a bubble of air at the surface, then swim down and let it go' behavior.

no webcam for now. but later i will post more movies.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I cannot promise how long this will last...but I think I got it working:

LIVE video of my frog tank on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuHdSE6YCA0

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

So cool! I checked in on. Your tank earlier today. Thanks for setting that up. It’s really fascinating.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think I found the magic command line option that keeps the live stream going. Previously, it would stop within about an hour of me starting it up.

They are all doing great!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTz...0UzlVeMRg/live

Maybe in the evening, I can switch the video to a night vision top-view.

19. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The biggest tadpoles now have little 'nubs' where their front legs will emerge. Their rear legs have emerged and are growing and i've seen them kick once in a while. They still swim side-to-side with their tail, and they are all eating constantly.
    The more numerous smaller tadpoles have yet to sprout legs.
    And i'm wondering if another batch of eggs is going to be laid.

I am almost through a one pound bag of spinach.

I have not seen a dead tadpole yet. Last year, occasionally, one would 'burst open' and that's that.

Unfortunately, the snails are also getting lots of food, so i'm getting lots of snails.

I changed the tank water yesterday and it's very difficult to siphon five gallons of water and not suck up at least one tadpole. The one that went through the siphon tube was a very large one and he even got stuck at one point, willy wonka style. But it went through and I netted it back into the tank.
    The waste water was quite green in color, cause by the spinach.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTz...0UzlVeMRg/live

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One of the tadpoles is far more advanced than the rest. It has fully formed front and rear legs and is now 'emerging'. It spends its time near the surface, breathing air most of the time now.

It's also way smaller than it's peers. This particular tadpole decided to stop eating early and develop quick. super micro froglet.

i'm going to be getting the 'hydei' flies. those will be a mouthful for a frog this small but i think they can do it!

what the heck am i going to do with this many frogs? thats what i said last year and i kept them all. well this year i cannot do that. i suppose i need to post a for-sale message in the appropriate forum.

22. This member thanks alane for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information