Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh. Gonna have babies

Default Re: Uh Oh. Gonna have babies

Oh yes and about the toxicity; I don't think one of my adults has ever had one of the toadlets in its' mouth, let alone all seven of the adults. And still they all seem to ignore them as food. Of course it is very possible that they did in fact all tasted one and learned from their mistakes or even that they smell or sense in any other way the toxicity of the toadlets. I am not sure though if toadlets of this age have already developed their toxins, I'm talking straight out of the water with a tail toadlets.. It would be an interesting experiment to put some toadlets of another species in the tank and see if the adults react any different to those.

2. This member thanks sambal for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Daily check on the tank...the chiller is running. It's thermostat isn't working right. The chiller thermostat says 77F. My tank thermometer is at 65F. It's supposed to be at 73F.

So. Chiller gets turned off until I can fix or replace its thermostat.

Frogs dont seem to mind at all.

5. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I haven't been online that much frequently, been very busy with life and school. This is an interesting read, as I was considering attempting to breed this species someday in the future. Do you have any homes planned out for all the juveniles yet?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well, the chiller is okay. It malfunctioned due to low flow in the filter/pump system. It was time to overhaul the filter and pump system, which I did. Full flow restored and correct cooling too. And now, my tank is in 'rain configuration' and it's raining heartily on the frogs.

In celebration of this basic maintenance victory, I set the cooler down a few degrees to simulate 'winter' for the little fellows.

I gotta say those 'razor blade on a handle' tank cleaners work great for removing any sort of stuff on your glass, both above and below water. hard water deposits come right off. cool.

No plans for the juveniles as of yet. they are so cool to listen to now, the little ones 'beep' a few octaves above the adults now.

The cherry shrimp are thriving on the bottom. I am so tempted to add african dwarf frogs to this tank but I suspect I should just enjoy what i got.

8. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am buying them exclusively large crickets, as I find the small crickets just are not much of a meal. I still have some smallish toadlets, in fact some are quite small and apparently are behind the others. Yet...I see that these smallest of my toadlets have no problem downing the largest of crickets. It's comical and somewhat frightful. You'd think that a toad that is about the size of a cricket could not do it. But the toadlet stretches. I have seen only one toadlet 'abort' a meal that was too large. I am stunned at how they can expand to fit their food.

One interesting fact is that the frog/toad is the "lowest" animal that evolved a vomit reflex. This is the first animal that could puke.
    No doubt this is a survival instinct to be able to puke up either items that are too large or are not digestible.

But, my, these things do love their crickets. Much, much more so than any other food.

Some of the adults do not like the dusted crickets. These adults get extra vitamins, as they always end up with a mouthful of dust whether or not they swallowed the prey.

The PacMan frog I had was "is he gonna eat today". The FBT tank is "how many are you willing to feed them because they'll eat it if you give it to em".

They will occasionally get excited about food and strike at my fingers. Cute little mouths with no teeth and a sticky tongue.

I am getting lots of enjoyment out of this tank of frogs.

10. This member thanks alane for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well, it must be Easter. My one female has gotten fat...my frogs are making a racket...and this morning I see a few eggs.

The first set of eggs she laid was last year, they were highly fertile and I have 20 subadults still from last year. Many more laying sessions last season became less and less fertile until she laid eggs that all failed.

I was astounded that the 40 or so tadpoles I got ended up eating about five pounds of spinach. It all went into my filters as nasty smelling green goo. I lost about half of them, the ones that didn't do well coming at the end of the season.

It looks like I need to keep a close eye on a few round blobs to see whether or not they develop.

I sure do not need any more frogs in this tank and will have to cull them all. But they are so cute. Kills me.
    I need a fish that'll eat eggs but somehow leave my cherry shrimp alone. Sigh.

I read recently that a good way to lower pH is with tannin. I have very mineralized basic tap water. So, it seems that throwing a pinecone into my tank is a good way to lower the pH. The tannins do not seem to have hurt any of the residents.

Good lord that poor female. She has four males grabbing her.

The sub-adult toadlets are also practicing amplexus but they are not good at it yet.

It was hilarious to see an adult try to amplexus a sub-adult. One frog just completely wraps around another frog. Looks unpleasant for the subject. The eternal struggle. Legs go every which way. LOL!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Not a whole lot of eggs laid, I can count maybe eight. I suspect I can see only half of them, froggies hide them well.

They are developing quickly. Yesterday they were spheres. Today they are elongated crescents and I can tell which end is the head.

It is quite amazing to watch the progress.

I have quite a buildup of algae in places. If these fellows hatch out, they will probably strip the tank clean like they did last time.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The first tadpole of this year is now free of it's egg. I suspect the rest will follow soon. Just 3 days for the egg to hatch!

I look forward to the tadpole-eats-algae phase, where they munch non-stop on anything green for many weeks.

They eventually get very active and the tank becomes bedlam with 'little dark colored grapes' swimming constantly every which way.

I'm hoping to set up a security camera to watch this tank for the next few weeks. An edited video of 12 weeks of development compressed into a minute might be interesting.

I have one male who _really_ wants to go. But I have only one egg laying female in a tank of five adults and fifteen subadults. So he ends up grabbing the Wrong Frog most of the time. Poor things. To be grabbed underwater and held there, underwater, whilst you are struggling to get away looks kind of scary to us humans. Nightmare fuel actually. But that's what these creatures do. Never seen one drown.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

this morning i can count six 'clinger' tadpoles. A few more eggs yet to hatch. And a new batch of a few eggs laid.

Last year had only a small population of cherry shrimp. But now I have a maximum population and it makes it hard to count anything.

I am surprised that they are coming in less than 'ten' at a time. I am gratified that it's not 'hundreds'.

As I recall, it's a few days before a clinger starts eating the algae on the side of the tank.

And two toads in solid 24/7 amplexus, probably gonna be like that for a week.

They love their crickets so much. The other day was not feeding time, but a cricket leg was floating in the water. One of the toadlets noticed this, got into position to hunt down this floating leg. It struck accurately. *gulp*. My they love their crickets, even the drumsticks.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well, they are free swimming now and eating all the time. I've started to put a few leaves of wilted spinach in the tank and they eat it up, as well as the algae. the 'coil' of their intestines is now apparent and they are a continual food processing machine. It's very hard to get an accurate count but I believe I counted twelve the other day.

It looks like the first batch of eggs is super healthy and 100% viable. no further eggs yet. but i've been feeding my tank well and my frogs are phat.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Twelve or so tadpoles are doing fine.

Last night, quite a racket from the tank. I know what that means.
    They are all over the place...
    This morning, I figure at least 25 more eggs have been laid.

Yes, I saw that my female was way, way fat last night. But I didn't say anything so as to not hurt her feelings. I told her this morning she looked Very Slim Indeed!

Very nice that they're getting it on again! Mine are still a bit slow, it's rather cold here for the time of the year so I guess they don't have that spring feeling yet. Please consider raising the tadpoles to toadlets and selling those. I learned that almost all fire bellies sold at pet shops are actually wild caught. I think it's great if we can saturate the market with captive bread frogs so the wild populations can be left alone! In my area a lot of pet shops were interested as well as private individuals. I ended up selling about 60 juveniles over the time span of just a month. Also sold another 50 or so tadpoles. Btw; I am curious how your one year olds look like now, could you post some photos? You show me yours I'll show you mine!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes, I believe I have to sell them. I've got one mailer from Josh's Frogs and there's enough unpacking videos on youtube that'll show me how to best pack these little fellows.
    I'd better sell a few before I am overrun. Right now, my frogs are still comfortable at their population density.

I am accumulating pictures, but let my 'creative cloud' subscription expire. So I need to renew my familiar editing/publishing software to edit these pics. I've definitely been holding out as far as pics go, and should apologize to the forum for that.

Last year, I tried various forms of nursery tanks. The end result was that the tads that ate and frogs that emerged in the main adult tank were far healthier. Even after they emerged, the babies did better in the adult tank than on their own. It's just that when it came to fly feeding time, everyone eats. And the adults eat a lot. So you have to put LOTS of flies in the tank to keep them all fed. LOTS of flies. too many, really. *shudder*

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

my female frog has deflated

uncountable quantites of eggs are visible. 50? 100?

:O

better get a five pound bag of spinach.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Testing to see if frog pics work...

Name:  DP6C6023 copy.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  51.9 KB
    Name:  DP6C6026 copy.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  52.9 KB

I just read this whole thread and it was amazing!! Keep the pics coming, I love the babies <3

Nationality
    [Afghanistan]

I’d love to see some pics of your current setup. Sounds like you have some happy froggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Two more pics:

Name:  DP6C6048 copy.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  DP6C6050 copy.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  84.4 KB

In the second photo, you can see some clingers in the upper left and a tadpole of the 'first generation', not quite the size of a jelly bean.

you can see my tank uses acrylic stands to elevate a hollow log feature so that it's half way out of the water.
    moss balls. Plenty of little nooks.
    also, frogs and shrimp and snails.
    the blue thing in the background is an intake filter to keep the babies alive. I just buy filter material in bulk, it has to be replaced weekly.

so many eggs yet to hatch. there are only a few eggs that have failed. there are tons of clingers and rather a lot of eggs that will hatch shortly.

soon the tank will be 'bedlam'. when the tadpoles get larger, they are really active, especially at night.

I put shrimp pellets in, a few leaves of wilted spinach. Any cricket that sinks also gets eaten rapidly. I found last year that the environment and diet of this adult tank is way better than the isolated tank approach I tried.

Last year I hooked up a side tank with a siphon that basically, over time, gently shuttled all of the tadpoles into a nursery tank via the siphon hose. Although I could observe them easier, they failed at a significantly higher rate. I saw no 'floating dead tadpoles' in the adult tank at all.

when they emerge in many weeks, i am considering a second enclosure of some sort. if I start setting it up now, that would be good. lol.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Developing eggs, and a cherry shrimp in the corner...

Name:  DP6C6039 copy.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  121.9 KB

the cherry shrimp will pick over the eggs and maybe eat something stuck to them, but they don't harm the eggs at all.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

One minute movie of the underwater half of my frog tank!

https://youtu.be/W8gSAX8AIO4

You can see a few of the 'first generation' tadpoles, at about three weeks of age. eating algae on the glass. half head, half gut. and half tail.
    You can see a handful of 'clingers' hanging vertically near the top of the frame...there is a great hatching going on right now. tiny little things will absorb their yolk before starting to eat.
    You can hear one of the adult frogs calling softly.
    Cherry shrimp fly here and there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information