Thread: Getting red eyed tree frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Getting red eyed tree frogs

My friend who does not have an account yet is getting from 2 to 4 red eyed tree frogs. what is the suggested tank size, number if he wants to breed, suggestion of frogs dependent on money (them getting too expensive), and suggested meal. Even if you can't answer all of these any of the questions being answered would help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting red eyed tree frogs

Okay, I'd suggest a tall tank, especially since red eyes seem to be more treetop creatures than some other tree frogs. They're slightly more nocturnal than some other tree frogs. For two at least a 24'' x 24'', more for 4. If he's never bred before, I don't suggest it. Or at least to wait til he's used to caring for frogs. I don't know the requirements for red eyes specifically but some frogs will need sprinkler systems to mate.

Frogs aren't that expensive compared to their habitats and the stuff needed to keep them warm. He'd need to budget for substrate (either coconut coir plus cost of replacing it occasionally or the things needed to make a bio-active substrate), a tank, heating lamp/pad, thermometer/hygrometer, things to climb on.

Frogs do well on crickets, it's a good idea to dust them with calcium or calcium plus vitamin powder. He'll also need to make or buy a place to put crickets until feeding them to frogs and also give them fruit and vegetable scraps. (There is cricket chow but mine live longer when fed vegetables.)

Thread Information