Thread: whites tree frog(Jack) just got cured from dehydration and will not eat! Help!!

Default whites tree frog(Jack) just got cured from dehydration and will not eat! Help!!

Just last Friday my little Jack was dehydrated. We sprayed him down and gave him a wet paper towell to sit on. The next day he looked great! But he would not eat I dont know if he may have red leg or not. Befre I had Eve and she passed awey from red leg, so maybe Jack has it. I cleaned his cage today (very well) and hoped he would eat. I put some meal worms in a glass bowl, but the next morning they were still their. I got some silk worms in a glassbowl, no luck! I checked him for signs of redness, nothing. I have a heat pad in his cage and a lamp above it. The heat lamp does not produce much heat but gives Jack calcium. I spray Jacks cage twice a day. My tank is a ten gallon. Jack usully burrows in the moss or dirt or hides in his house. He is about 2 inches long. Im not sure if he is full grown or not. Please give me advice about what to do about my little Jackie!!
    ~ Teri

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: whites tree frog(Jack) just got cured from dehydration and will not eat! Help!!

There still may be side effects of the dehydration. I'd keep the temperature and humidity within range as much as possible. Also I'd continue to keep a close eye on him. There's not a lot else you can do as far as I know.

Default Re: whites tree frog(Jack) just got cured from dehydration and will not eat! Help!!

Thank you so much elly for the advice!! I boosted up the temp to about 75 degrees in the day and 70 in the night. I also started to spray his cage more often. I went to the vet and the vet said that Jack had red leg. She gave me some medicane for him. I have been giving him the medicane for 4 days now. The vet also said to give him crickets instead of mealworms and silk worms. I did that. She said to use filtered water and not just the sink water to spray his cage and use to fill his water dish. I did that. I have been handling Jack with gloves now. He has been acting much better. Although I have not yet seen him eat, he has gotten a bit fatter. YAY!! I have not handled Jack unless I was giving him the medicane. I have just let him rest now. Evan though Jack has been acting much better, advice would be aprieciated!! ~ Teri

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Oh, wow, I'm glad you took him to the vet despite me saying I didn't think there was anything you could do! I wonder if the dehydration weakened his immune system? Maybe not.
    I wish I'd asked about whether he got dechlorinated water. There's usually a whole checklist of things to ask people when they have frog problems, but I didn't want to be the inquisition. (You might want to try dechlorinating solution of the kind used for fish rather than filtering- filtering does remove some of the minerals, I think. But if your vet thinks it's fine, go with that.)

My experience with frogs and medication is that they can be sluggish for a little while afterwards. Medication can be harsh and it may take a recovery period.

Also, do you put calcium powder on crickets? I think UV light may help with vitamin D, but that might do more.

Thread Information