[United States]

Default Coco fiber expanding

Can i use regular distilled water or do i still have to add the conditioner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Coco fiber expanding

For expanding the substrate you want to use declorinated tap or spring water, not sure if you have to add declorinator to the spring water but I do just in case. Distilled water has no minerals or anything in it so it draws these minerals that it doesn't have out of the frog which will equal a sick frog. Its only good for misting and foggers, it has nothing in it so when you spray it on the glass and plants it doesn't leave calcium buildup and spots on it. For the question in your other thread yes you will need to change out that substrate, the clorine and other bad things in it will give your frog toxed out syndrome, this is were your frog will swell up like a balloon and stop eating and if not caught fast enough could lead to death. Hope this helped a bit.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Distilled water has no minerals or anything in it so it draws these minerals that it doesn't have out of the frog
    Are you talking about osmotic pressure? I doubt there is enough to be of danger to the frog as does any other water that has not had it's salinity adjusted to the salinity of the frogs tissue. If the the only thing in the tank is water, then I might think you have a valid point, but gravel and other things in the viv are quickly going to add the minerals back to the water more so than the frog.

Certainly using distilled water to expand the coco fiber will give it the maximum expansion possible.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I was thinking R/O water for some reason, and you make a good point. I only keep pacmans so I always just think of a small water dish sitting there with no contact to anything else. I can honestly say I have never thought about how in a viv or something similar its coming into contact with other things that will contain some of these minerals. Something to think about for sure.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The problem is, then, you have to know your minerals. Let's say that your substrate is full of magnesium but not calcium. Distilled water will then leach magnesium out of your substrate and calcium out of your frog.
    Fact is, distilled water will leach various minerals out of various things. You just don't want one of those things to be your frog. So the problem is sort of complex.
    Over the long run, it's best to use water that's already got a fairly balanced and typical mineral content.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by alane View Post
    Fact is, distilled water will leach various minerals out of various things.
    I don't think distilled water significantly leaches minerals from anything more so than any other water that has not reached it's saturation point for that particular mineral. I've kept frogs in distilled water for several years before switching to spring water and they've not exhibited any ill effects.

The hype on the internet about it is just that overblown half-truths that originally came from sites that want to sell you their miracle cure for your other ailments.

And the OP was only asking about wetting their coco fiber with it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    I don't think distilled water significantly leaches minerals from anything more so than any other water that has not reached it's saturation point for that particular mineral.
    Whereas it's true that any water you add will eventually come to an equilibrium of dissolved solids, distilled water will absorb more.
    Whether that means anything?
    I have yet to hear of a single case where distilled water actually caused a problem relating to mineral deficiency. Mineral deficiency issues are usually very intangible and may be attributed to any one of many causes.
    In this day and age of vitamin supplement powder, it seems that our frogs are well vitamined and mineraled as it is.
    Furthermore, the coconut media itself contains minerals; perhaps it is absolutely 100% unnecessary to use mineral water in this case because of the minerals in the media.
    So I bet you are correct that distilled water is fine for this purpose.

But since mineral water is sold along side distilled water at the store, I purchase both.

There should be a brand of gourmet "spa" frog water. You know, with a consistent scientifically proven purity to promote maximum health and well being. Eh. There probably is one already.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have used tap water to expand my coco fiber for my trio of tree frogs (who are rarely in contact with the substrate on the ground), my planted gecko enclosures and my leopard gecko lay boxes. Everyone is fine.

Aliza

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I think we scared off joosway (the OP). We over-thunk a simple question about re-hydrating coco fiber. <grin>

Thread Information