Thread: Back in the Pac

Nationality
    [Canada]

Question Back in the Pac

Hello all, I'm very excited to have finally gotten myself a pacman frog. I had one as a teenager for 8 years and really enjoyed him, bitten fingers and all. 20 some years later finally treated myself and got another.

It is "Tri-coloured Albino" but I'm not sure if it's ornate or chacoan? Can anyone tell?

I have setup on sphagnum moss because I really hate how coco fibre sticks and gets everywhere. I plan to put in a large flat rock for feeding. Is it ok to physically move your frog to a safe area for feeding to avoid impaction or will that stress them? My first frog I simply kept in 1.5" of water with a sponge to climb out on, this time I want the frog to have a more natural life.

Any special precautions for albino? No bright lights, correct? Are they ok with ambient light from the next-door gecko tank? It has LED white and blue lighting.
    I have read some of the colour morphs are weak and have health problems, what sort of problems do they have? I chose the best and fattest looking frog, havn't tried feeding yet (just got last night).

Here is "Gama-Bunta"

A quick read of the forum tells me moss is a no-no. I really don't want to use coco fibre it gets all over the glass and your hands and the sink whenever I change the water (I tried it with my crested gecko for awhile, did not like), surely there is another alternative????

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Back in the Pac

Your pictures do not appear to be publicly viewable. Permissions issue maybe?

Moss is a problem if it gets eaten during mealtime. When I had moss, my juvenile couldn't eat a cricket without also getting a string of moss.

Wouldn't one and a half inches of water drown one of these fellows?

I find that my frog rarely likes to feed anymore during bathtime in his clean box. Froggy insists on eating only in his natural environment. Mine is a secret eater, I can rarely make him eat on demand. Perhaps I am just offering food too often and keeping the frog topped off; it's a juvenile right now. During feeding time, I use a cricket corral made out of a pint container with the bottom cut out. This allows him to 'eat from bed' which seems to be what mine wants to do mostly. That wouldn't work on a moss substrate, but on cocoa, there's no way out for the cricket.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Back in the Pac

Hello, if your frog is albino then its a 100% Chacoan. This is the only species of Pacman that hey have albinos in. The moss I wouldn't use due to impaction, I know coco fibre can be messy but its safer and the frog can usually pass it with ease if some is swallowed. The best way to feed is by tongs, this way you know what they are eating and you know they are getting there vitamins this way. Some people will move them to a different container for feeding but I have always just fed in the enclosure. Some will get stressed from the move in to the container for feeding and some will be fine, really all depends on the frog. For the lighting you are right that you don't want anything to bright and no uvb, if your room light or gecko tanks light up his enclosure enough for him to figure out its day he will be fine. You could even use a little led over the tank for light, I use a little 5 watt led from Walmart that's the equivalent of a 40 watt and my frog doesn't seem to be bothered from it. And if you think its to bright you could set a piece of window screen under the lamp and it will filter out some of the light. And ya as mentioned the pictures didn't work.

Thread Information