Thread: New here, need some advice on meds for toad!

Member needs to set country!

Default New here, need some advice on meds for toad!

Hello, I'm new here, so I'm not really sure where to put this. I'm putting it here because this area seems to be the busiest, but a mod can definitely move this to the correct place! Thanks!

So, a few days ago, I accidentally stepped on an American Toad. It was dark, and I didn't mean to. I felt so bad about, I made him an enclosure and brought him inside. I get that its February, but here in NC, we don't participate in normal seasons. It was really warm for a few days, with really warm nights, so I think it brought some of the toads out. Now its back down to the low 30s at night and low 50s during the day. So its too cold for him to go back outside, injured.

On to the toad. He doesn't seem to move a lot, I'm not sure if its from being hurt or if its because its winter and hes really not supposed to be out of hibernation. He seems to have eaten 3 of the 4 small crickets I put in last night. His right side eye and front leg seem to be mostly effected.

His enclosure is a few inches of potting soil, with a few inches of coconut fiber on top for him to burrow. A little log hide, and a shallow water container with rocks in the bottom, so he could soak and still get out.

My questions are, what antibiotics can I use? I have an animal pharmacy here, so I actually have several types of antibiotics on hand. Can I give him any pain meds? I have animal pain meds as well.

I also wanted to know, what is the normal behavior of a toad? What do they do? I know they're nocturnal. So are they supposed to just sit around all day? I'm just curious, to see how "normal" this guy is acting.

I plan on rehabbing him and then setting him free. If I feel like he won't be able to live in the wild happily, I will keep him and care for him his whole life. I feel so bad I stepped on him, I'll just take care of him his whole life.

Thanks for any help! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Magicl Merlin; February 10th, 2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: to say, he has actually eaten

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New here, need some advice on meds for toad!

hi i kept my toad after i did the same thing i didn't give it any med's because i didn't think there were any med's for toad's so i was hoping it was alive and thin he lived he is just blind in one eye witch is sad but he is fine this is the story of tad. i hope you'r toad is gonna live a long and happy life this was just to give you hope for you'r poor toad if you keep him/her.

Member needs to set country!

The toad, which I think now is a female and I've named her Gertrude von Toad, is doing great! She started eating regularly, she is fat and healthy looking!
    I plan on releasing her in a few days.

I did end up putting a drop of some rabbit antibiotics on her back, and I did give her some diluted vitamin A and vitamin D drops on her back. I'm not sure if any of that did anything, but she seems to be totally normal now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm glad it worked out even if no one here could help with medication dosage.

Thread Information