Thread: Loss of appetite

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Loss of appetite

Hey guys! It's been a heck of a while since I've been on here and I'm having a small issue with my pacman frog Button, he's a Chacoan horned frog or Ceratophrys cranwelli and I've had him since November 2014 so a little over 2 years. He seems to have had some appetite loss. He's pretty big and fat so at this point it's not alarming or even concerning but it is confusing. I wouldn't say he's stopped eating outright since I saw him snap at a cricket last night though he missed, didn't have too much enthusiasm. He's been leaving his crickets alone for the most part but until I ran out recently he loved large adult dubia roaches and I have been able to get him to take nightcrawlers and the occasional pinky with forceps . Sometimes he takes forceps offerings readily and aggressively (sometimes he won't even let go and I have to shake him off. Grabbed my finger on two occasions recently and made me bleed) but other times he really doesn't care and the only way to get him to take it is to poke and rub his face with the food and sort of make him mad with it before he opens his mouth. He's gotten to the size where I've started to wean him off of a pinky every month to a small adult mouse every month and on the first two times I gave him one all I had to do was slightly twitch it in front of his face and he snapped it right up but last night when I tried to give him one he wouldn't even touch it when I tried to make him mad with it and I ended up giving it to my bearded dragon instead. It was only just barely thawed out at that point so might have been a little cold to grab his interest, maybe he couldn't smell it very well. Also it's winter and despite the fact that he's in a very warm room with a space heater he's not in the 100% warmest part of the room so maybe he's just slowed down for the winter. I don't know. He's been doing this for at least several weeks. The picture I attached wasn't taken recently but he's about the same size and shape now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Loss of appetite

Hi, he looks nice and fat and healthy. If your temps And humidity are good and you haven't changed anything he could just be slowing down because he is an adult and they tend to like to eat bigger meals then they don't eat for awhile. Or sometimes even though temps and humidity haven't changed something has set him off to think its winter/ dry season and he's just slowed for the winter, kinda like a dragon. He will still eat but not as often and not as eager. All mine are going through this right now, and in the spring when they get there energy back I feed mine one big meal once a week and they seem to be happy. All in all he looks healthy to me, and if hes still eating just not with the same gusto as usual and not losing weight I wouldn't worry to much yet. Try making time in between feedings a little longer and see if that helps, and if not again if he isn't losing weight he may have just slowed for the winter. And you could maybe try to move him to a warmer part of the room and the extra heat may perk him up abit.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! That is great to hear! That's exactly what it sounds like he's doing my garter snake and two tarantulas only eat twice a week on Monday and Friday so maybe I should include him in that routine as well

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

a baseball

lol

Thread Information