Thread: Seriously ill White's - help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Seriously ill White's - help

Hi All,
    I have been worried about my White's tree frog Khan for the past couple weeks because he has gradually lost his appetite. He never had problems with eating before. But he started only taking one cricket per feeding, then only making a half hearted attempt, and now he's straight up refusing food... I hadn't checked on him for the last few days and when I took him out to try to feed him tonight he looked like this.

As you can see ... raised dark bumps all over the body, some are bleeding... I can't find what these exact symptoms mean on Google but his behavior is very worrisome. He has also been having problems shedding which have also gradually gotten worse. You can see some of the shed floating around him in the pic. Tonight as I was watching him he has had a couple spasm-like episodes where his legs went in random directions.
    I soaked him in some lukewarm water to try and get some of the stuck shed off and noticed that when I momentarily tilted the container so that the water covered his nose, he didn't even attempt to lift his head.

He perked up briefly for a few minutes and lifted his head eventually, even moved around a little and climbed on stuff, but still had no interest in eating.

I am pretty sure he is dying now. I can't explain it, I am just feeling it... his eyes are going cloudy and are just starting to look, well, dead... Even if I can't get him to a vet I would like some peace of mind knowing what exactly happened. Some kind of bacterial infection? And what's the best way to prevent that in the future.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Seriously ill White's - help

Could be chytrid fungus, search online for the treatment. Or another type of bacterial infection.

BD breaks out when infected frogs are kept at cool temperatures, so raise the basking spot to 90F so the frog can fight the disease.

What ambient and basking temperatures and relative humidity have you been keeping the frog at?

Nationality
    [United States]

That definitely looks like a severe fungal infection to me. In my honest opinion, this frog MUST be taken to a herp vet is he is to survive. It looks beyond home treatment.
    edit: I've included a link to herp vep connection, specifically for the state of California
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/calif.shtml

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

5. This member thanks Frogman1031 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes, that's severe. I hope he can pull through. And I hope that whatever you do you make sure to thoroughly sterilize everything in the tank or dispose of it securely! Just throwing the substrate in your backyard might pass the fungus on to frogs in your area. (It's probably already in your area, but better safe than sorry. No need to add more fungus.)

Thread Information