Thread: My FBT'S WATER TEMP HELP!

Default My FBT'S WATER TEMP HELP!

So I live in utah and right now its COLD my terrarium stays at 20 C 68 F does not go higher and does not go lower it stays the same ? If I were to get a submersable heater what would you guys recommend what watts and what brand also I dont have a basking light all I have is a UVB light the length of the tank . maybe instead of heating the water and a basking light what do you think about getting a ceramic heat emitter for the whole tank to warm the water and for warmth for basking and keeping it on 24/7..

I would really like your thoughts and inputs...

adult image host

free photo upload

HERE IS MY TERRARIUM SET UP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My FBT'S WATER TEMP HELP!

The water temp in mine is 68F too. Don't worry about it as they are from temperate climates too and are used to such. It looks like you have a nice high basking area which should suffice. Is there water flowing on the higher basking area in the back left?

Nice looking setup. What are the plants in the water?

One of the benefits of lower water temps is less rot and decay. I wouldn't use a water heater at all. At most just circulate water over the basking area with a light that produces some heat as well as UVB

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Whilst I agree that 20C is fine at this time of year, new arrivals should be kept at their warm summer temps for resistance against disease that the stress of moving about causes, especially if they are wild caught and most Oriental fire-bellies are WC. Only healthy frogs that have accumulated to captivity should be exposed to cool temps.

I've kept the Orientals before, now have yellow-bellied toads. They are very similar in care, if not identical, and the yellow-bellied is from countries which reach upper 20s C to even the low 30s C during the summer. I'd imagine the water would probably stay a few degrees cooler than that, but not as far as 20C and fire-bellies do tend to select habitats with sun exposed pools for fast tadpole development. If you've ever done a water change and replaced with warmer water, this is why they start to call.

I have a 25 watt T8 UVB light that on for 12 hours of the ay off 12 hours of the day .. Also yes that is a water fall tetrafuana filter water flows down it and circulates and the plant in the water is a fake plant I have nothing real in there beings im affraid the crickets will chew on them and make my FBTS sick.. Now my FBTS wont move around they sit in one spot and I had my older FBT the other day have some sort of spasms he has stopped now but hasnt moved since and my younger FBTS do the same they hide or sit in one spot I also do not have a basking source cause I was told they dont or need a basking spot . but my toads dont move around and if they do its to eat and they dont really eat either just maybe one if not two but mostly one dusted cricket ..

My tank is the tetrafauna double filter waterfall and then rocks I had boiled from outside and fake plants thats all I have in there !?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Don't know about the spasm's .... wasn't trying to bark but not making noise? Do they generally look healthy appearance wise? Though I agree that they are not a necessity, A basking light pointing on the rock with the water flowing over it might help with some of your temperature concerns. Just be sure it's not getting everything too hot. It will at least give them some control of their own environment temps.

Thread Information