Thread: Dumpy Tree Frog Overheating issue

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dumpy Tree Frog Overheating issue

I am in a unique position where I live in a split house (one house where my side is constructed as a studio). I don't control the thermostat, the owner on the main side of those house does so, with it being winter and my house mate cranking the heat in the house to 85-90 degrees at night, I'm worried about my two new kids. I've got them in an exo-terra 12x12x18, coconut substrate, fake hanging plants (one small, one long) on each side, climbing log and a bath dish. I have a 40 watt infrared heat lamp hovering about 8 inches above it through the screen. I'm so worried the heat in the house is going to suck out the moisture in their home. Should I be worried? I apologize if there is any redundant posting here and I didn't find an old thread I should have. I'm a newbie to this (I got them as a gift for my daughters 4th birthday, she loves frogs!) but not an idiot, I did a ton of research first but didn't think the ONE thing through. Could I combine a fan? I'm trying to make sure it's super moist until I find out more. Also, are they down with slugs from outside?! Having issues adding pics.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dumpy Tree Frog Overheating issue

Hi

Please note that the 12x12x18" will not hold them for very long and they will need a 18x18x24" minimum when adults.

85-90F as an ambient temperature is too high, ideal for basking, but the ambient air should be about 77F — 82F max. However, this is a daytime temperature and then nighttime should drop to at least 75F.

I would really talk to your neighbor and instead of mentioning the frogs, stress the fact that you yourself are not comfortable with that being the room temperature of your house and try to come to an agreement with a more neutral temperature which suits both of you. Otherwise, I'm afraid you might have to rehome your frogs

4. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

If the owner pays for the electricity, then you might get an air conditioner, such as a window unit, to offset the high temps. Living in ambient temps of 85F to 90F is something I wouldn't tolerate. Those kind of temps in dry winter air really dry the sinuses. At least for me they do. I keep my home about 68F in the winter.

6. 2 members thank privet01 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! I'll look into a larger size. I do wish they had more to play with although they just started utilizing a cool vine installation I put in. We ended up naming them Bud and Weis due to a bad joke that my daughters ears seemed to like.
    anyway, I've been able to manage perfect temps for them. I open the window at night. They seem pretty happy. Lots of croaking! They both just shed which had me jump back on here to see your responses. I appreciate the input. I don't know how my neighbor is fine with the temperature that high. So, yea, I'm working it out ��

Thread Information