Thread: Tadpole help please!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Tadpole help please!

Hello, I'm having a bit of a tadpole issue and was wondering if anyone could please provide advice. I like in florida and a few months ago we had a lot of rain connected to hurricane Matthew and my kids' sandbox (which is tarped) filled with water. A couple days later my 5y/o noticed that the resulting pool was filled with tadpoles! Cool, right? So we set up the hose on a timer to keep the sandbox water level up so we could watch them turn to frogs. Most of them did (unfortunately they were cuban tree frogs, which are very invasive and nasty in this area so we will jot be doing that again).

But there was a special tadpole, an albino. We named hI'm bolt and would be sure to find him every few days to make sure he hadn't been snatched and eaten or anything. Well most of his froggy siblings had frogged and hopped off and he hadn't even developed the beginnings of legs yet. Since we wanted to stop filling up the sandbox, we took bolt out and put him in a critter carrier on thr kitchen window, filled with leaf litter and water from the sandbox, and this is where he's been since just before Christmas. He still shows no signs of any continued development. I feed his fish flakes and tiny ripped up pieces of spinach, tho he seems mostly to nibble at the leaves in there. So anyway, what gives? Is there anything I can do to coax him into frogging? I figured that one he turned into a frog we could keep him in a terrarium as a pet since an albino frog is pretty cool and I don't even think it's legal to release him since they're invasive. So any advice would be helpful!

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Tadpole help please!

there isn't really a good way to get them to transform into frogs faster. Just keep the water near the right temp, for tadpoles and other aquatic creatures its usually around 72 degrees, with a small margin of difference. Just don't get it too high or it will cook the tadpole. also got to keep the water PH level at a certain level, if your on well water and there are absolutely no chemicals in the water you should be fine. you should be able the get the water tested at your local pet store. also any chance on a picture?

Thread Information