Thread: Feeding frequency and amount for a pacman?

Default Feeding frequency and amount for a pacman?

I completely new to herps and recently got a juvenile (~ 2 inches long) pacman frog. I've been trying to find detailed resources on feeding without any luck. Currently, I am following a feeding scheduled outlined here, which is basically feed 5 small crickets or 2-3 large crickets (gutloaded) every other day and rotate the supplements. Every time I put the crickets in the tank, she eats them right away.

From De Vasjoli's Horned Frog Book, it says to feed juveniles "supplemented three-week-old crickets every one to two days". I have a few questions with this guideline that I hope you can help me with:

1. No quantity of crickets is mentioned. How many crickets should I feed at each feeding?
    2. How big are 3 week old crickets? Can I adjust how many I feed depending on the size of crickets? If yes, how?
    3. How do I decide whether or not to feed it every day or every other day? It seems like there is a big difference between the two.
    4. For supplements: I have both Ca/D and Multivitamin. What frequency should I coat crickets? Should I coat all crickets in one feeding or spread them out for multiple feedings (a certain number of coated cricket at each feeding)?

What has worked for other people? Are there any documented/scientific sources on this type of stuff?

Also, what should the feeding schedule/amount be for adults?

Thank you for your help and patience with all of my questions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding frequency and amount for a pacman?

Hi

1. There's no solid answer but try about 5-6 crickets that are neither too small nor big. Then make adjustments if the frog to maintain the frogs proper weight/size.

2. You should feed the appropriate size. If you feed them too small then the frog can lose internet. Too large and it may lead to digestive upsets. You can find the age to size of crickets online.

3. If it's at the small side of the recommended feeding to size, then feed more. If it's coming to the larger size, when it will soon be eating less, reduce it to every other day and so on. If you feed a fish or mice, these have bones and probably are digested at a slower rate, so it might be wise to leave an extra day before feeding something else.

4. Calcium and vitamins should be given at the same time because they work together. They should be used at every insect feeding to balance the Ca:P ratio. It's better to use a supplement frequently on a weaker dose of supplements than a high dose infrequently. For this reason, Repashy have made Calcium Plus. This is what I use and I've had no problems. Do not feed crickets with a commercial gutload if you are dusting-it's one or the other and if you do both you could risk toxicity. However, it is recommended to feed your insects fruit and veggies, with a small amount of insect maintenance diet.

The book you have is the best reference. It has proven to work with raising and breeding large numbers of frogs and many people have followed it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the book reference. I just ordered that!

I am new at this, but this is what I do.

I have a new baby Pacman, maybe 1.3 inches long at this time.

I dig out the frog from it's media, it cleans up and I wait for the froggy to defecate before offering food. This usually happens about 22 hours after feeding.
    Once, he saved it up for 48 hours and left a double monster turd. I'm trying to offer food at about the same rate as their digestion. Right now that is once a day.

I get small crickets at the store, and pick the largest ones to offer. I've managed to configure a cricket pen that does not kill crickets.

I offer the crickets one by one and frog eats until it gets full. Last night all I had was smallish crickets left, we ate seven of them. I dust them all with calcium+D.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

That's a good idea and his metabolism must be good for that going that frequency. At the size of the frog it would be best to feed it daily.

If the store is limited then your best bet it to order them online. I don't bother with pet shops and get them online. The ones in stock here are never the right sizes I want. If you keep them warm 77F+ they will grow fast, though. Remember to dust with a supplement that contains all round vitamins-not just D. Preformed vitamin A is important for frogs.

Thread Information