Thread: Having heating issues

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Default Having heating issues

I have recently noticed the heat in my frogs home isn't matching what it should. I think the problem is that the light being used is a fluorescent and doesn't emit enough heat for my frog to be comfortable. The hot side only reaching 24C or 75.2F which is a bit too cool for my frog's happiness. The only reason I'm using the fluorescent light is because of the live plants I have in there which are thriving but my frog isn't exactly happy. I am pondering what to do because I don't really want to switch back to fake plants and the old light but...idk any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Having heating issues

Do you have enough room on the top of the tank to place a dome beside the fluorescent light? If so you could place another dome with a red light or something in it on the warm end, then the plants are still happy and so is the frog.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

I upgraded my Pacman's tank to a 10 gallon and have placed the old heating lamp back atop as it was far too cool. I hope that the old light is going to be good for the plants until I can figure out how to place the UVB light somehow. Was thinking of placing the light up and hanging from above as the heat isn't necessary from it but the UVB is. Though I wonder if the full spectrum lighting I have in the old bulb will do as well with the live plants I have.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Are life plants being used as atheistic purposes or for bio-activity? In a small tank like a ten-gallon with a large frog, it's unlikely that it will remain stable. The waste will most likely build up quicker than it can be broke down by the plants or beneficial bacteria. A very large tank 30+ will be needed if this is your goal and keep in mind that it will be more difficult to heat.

If you want a frog that will satisfy your desire for planted vivs, consider getting another tank withsome small frogs, like green or gray treefrogs, darts frogs or fire-bellied toads. These will do well in a 20-gallon planted tank.

Plants do not need UVB, just light quality in terms brightness and colours. Depending on the plant this will vary. A lot of people are now using LED lights for plant growth. I'm also not aware of any studies showing these frogs to benefit from UVB either. They most likely get all vitamin D3 through the diet. Indeed, most are kept and bred successfully by using supplements and whole prey items containing this vitamin.

Even if you do use a UVB it will be useless to the frog unless you keep it warm enough. UVB will only be manufactured into D3 in the body under heat. It's also the same when using dietary D3. Improper heat will also impair digestion and use of vitamins from the diet.

When designing a set up the most important thing to consider is how you're going to heat it. Whilst a set up with live plants might look pleasing to us, the pacman frog probably couldn't care less. What it needs is appropriate heat, humidity and food to thrive.

My advice is to keep the incandescent bulb for heat and some light, then use a potted pothos plant if you want a natural look. Although, it wouldn't be entirely natural as most pacman frogs live in grasslands and not forests. If you place the tank where it receives indirect light from a window then the plant should do well and so will the frog.

Hope this helps

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sort of new at this, but i recently got a thermostat for my new pet pacman enclosure. To some degree, that allows me to separate lighting from heating.

I use a combination of heating mats placed under the tank (but not attached to it) as well as one 60w light for heating, controlled by a thermostat. This keeps the warm side of the enclosure at about 83 degrees with a 3 degree variation, regardless of what my indoor house temperature is. My baby frog seems happy and has been eating, on average, three to four crickets a day every day.

I have a remote infrared thermometer. One of those 'guns' you point at things. Those are key. Thermostat or not, If you have one of those, you'll KNOW your temps, hotspots, coldspots and all.

I have rocks and plastic plants in my pacman tank.

8. This member thanks alane for this post:

Thread Information