Thread: Help Identifying a Species - Western Chorus?

Default Help Identifying a Species - Western Chorus?

Hello,

A year ago I bought some flowers at the store, and when I got home I had a little frog in my grocery bag. I'm not a big frog guy, but I thought if the frog was from another climate then I shouldn't let him go in the middle of winter. A year has come and gone, and he has become my class pet (I'm a middle school science teacher). He seems perfectly happy. He eats crickets, climbs, and jumps like it's no ones business. Since he has become a critter that will be with me for a while, I wanted to make sure I am providing him with everything needed. He is currently in a tank with a base of 18" x 18" and it is 24" tall. The floor is made up of moss mixture, fake turf, logs, and water bowls. He has lots of leaves and fake vines to craw on, and I feed him primarily crickets.

I am hoping someone may be able to help me identify the species, so I can do some more research. The closest I could find was a Western Chorus Frog. He's no more than two inches long. A dark shade of green/brown with some yellowish/cream striping the length of the body, especially around the eyes. He has a very light colored belly. He loves being nestled into little areas during the day. The space between the backing of his tank and the lid has become his hideout. He sits in a small water bowl a lot at night. I just put in a larger bowl in case he is a swimming species, but I am hesitant to add more water in case he isn't. I am hoping I can find out more about what type he is, so I can offer him a better environment.

I attached a picture of him (hard to see so I apologize) and a picture of his tank to see if anyone has ideas or advice.

Thanks a ton!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help Identifying a Species - Western Chorus?

It looks sort of like a match to me. Then again I don't know much about common tree frogs outside the US. I'd look up invasive frogs and see if there's a list with something matching the description.

Thread Information