Thread: Whites tree frog death

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Unhappy Whites tree frog death

I came home after a mini bread away to find out that my whites tree frog had died. He was being looked after by my parents at my house- so no change in environment. Temperature/ humidity/ water/ food had all remained the same as always so don't think it could be that. He was quite dumpy with a big belly. He was found dead in his water bowl sitting up, however appeared very thin. There was no change in behaviour prior to this. He had attempted to jump from a height twice in the past, missing and falling to the ground and then appearing to wind himself and becoming lifeless and not breathing for a minute and then getting up as normal. Not sure if this would have anything to do with it? Very strange, and I am of course devastated to loose him.

my second, slightly smaller tree frog who he was house with is now also distressed. He has been jumping around the tank like Spider-Man across the glass walls, and rubbing his nose up against the glass walls- causing bruising to his face. He's calmed down slightly today, however not feeding and doesn't seem himself. He has recognised my voice though and turning his head to me when I talk. I'm very worried for my second frog also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.🐸

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Whites tree frog death

How recent were the falls?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

For clumsiness, I'd think calcium deficiency or just general sickness. Neither of those cause a frog to move more than normal and get nose rub though.

Did they change the water and put in dechlorinating solution?

Nationality
    [United States]

I don’t have an answer but similar concerns with one of my baby white’s. Their names are Hapi and Kekuit (egyptian mythology) and I brought them home November 8, 2017 and they were a few wks old already. At first, Kekuit was the timid one but tolerated being handled but with frogs I try to keep handling minimal, just enough to be used to it. They were both the same size when I brought them home and for a while seemed to be growing steadily but now Kekuit has outgrown Hapi by nearly 3x and Hapi did take a 2.5-3ft at most fall and went into freeze mode (acted dead, limp not stiff so no seizures) but then he hopped off when I put him gently in the water dish. He’s done that a few times now when I’m just putting my hand in there to clean up and feed or change water. And since then, besides already not growing, he’s been pretty clumsy and I’ve only actually caught him eating once but see him try to get a cricket and it seems so easy, like Kekuit has no problem, but he misses. . Being so young I’m not confident in saying for sure what genders they are but I thiiink they’re both male but they’ve never shown any aggression towards each other and I catch them sleeping on each other often. I gutload my bugs before feeding and I have 3 other frogs and a gecko who eat the same crickets and meal worms and are all super healthy and thriving but I have started dusting the crickets and mealworms that I put in with Kekuit and Hapi. So, seeing if there are any other tips or tricks or if this might possibly be a normal thing? Could he just be super stinkin sensitive and not able to handle life? Probably not but I’m baffled and really want to get him healthy and thriving and happy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, they are usually always a bright greenish blue, getting a lil bit darker after misting but quickly returning to their blue color. Temp and Humidity is always on point and they have a bioactive enclosure that I did exstensive research on before setting up so I just don’t think anything in their environment could be causing Hapi’s low weight/possible illness.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey, nice names for the frogs. I've noticed they do have different personalities. Some frogs are just stress-prone. I do have a frog that occasionally misses bugs he aims for. I worried something was wrong with his eyes but otherwise he seems to be doing alright. It's good you're dusting with calcium. Hopefully that will prevent deficiency.

If the temp, humidity, and water are okay, there's nothing to do but watch for a sign of illness: excessive soaking, poor appetite, patchy shedding, runny poop, for example. Small size and missing bugs are not that much reason for concern but you could always try getting a check-up visit with an exotic vet.

Have you heard the frogs call yet? If Kekuit is larger, maybe it's female.
    (You might want to make a separate post in the future so people don't think it's a post they've already answered and ignore it or something.)

Nationality
    [United States]

I haven’t heard them call yet. And at first suspected Kekuit might be female due to size but they both have similar nodules on their front feet? I am scheduling a herp vet visit just to set things up but there is only one office that I know of in the area and it’ll only be a few wks but wanted to see if I can get tips beforehand. So thank you! I will keep an eye on poop. I mean I notice it and so far it hasn’t looked out of the ordinary but Hapi’s poops are gonna be smaller & I may have to make sure my glasses are on and I get a good look ya know. Everything else seems normal. Thanks for your help and tips! & I’ll be sure to start a new thread next time.

Thread Information