Thread: SICK Whites Tree Frog?

Default Whites Tree Frog WILL NOT EAT

Hi guys! I'm scared something is wrong with my frog! He usually sleeps in a log and then at night he is eager to eat and then goes into his water dish and that is his daily routine. For the past week, he has been sitting at the back of the tank (not where he usually is) and just sits there all day. He still goes into his water dish but I do not think he has been eating i have been putting crickets in his cage that are easy for him to get to, and as usual I am still chopping the legs off of the crickets. He has shown no interest in food whatsoever for 1 week he still is getting in his water dish periodically. I was thinking that maybe he was just cold (I live in TX) and maybe he was sitting st the back of the tank where the under cage heater is. The humidity levels are fine in his cage and the temps are 74-80. I'll attach some pictures of him. He is usually green but turns purple occasionally. I really need some help! He is about 4 years old and his name is Mr.Jelly The picture where he is green was taken on 12/21 and the picture of him when he is purple was taken 12/24. (It's not letting me upload the photos, so I'll keep trying.) I have him in a 12x12x24 ExoTerra (He has always been fine in this terrarium, but maybe he is wanting more space?)
    Rip Mr. Sticky 1-13-12 ~ 3-8-12
    Mr. Jelly

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog WILL NOT EAT

Hey,

The tank is far too small for activity and thermal and UVB regulation. A 18 x 18 x 24" is the absolute minimum for this species due to its size. Give him a heat light during the day to bask at 85F and UVB is beneficial, about 5% in the tank I mentioned. Once these conditions are provided and the frog still refuses to eat you could try getting another frog. This will give it more competition for food and may encourage it to eat before the other frog does. They also do seem to enjoy the company and may spend time near or cuddling with a "friend"

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas!

Thank you so much! I will try feeding him a few wax worms and then I'll work on finding him a new terrarium! Poor little buddy still hasn't had any crickets he just appears not hungry. He chills next to his water dish for the whole day and then at night gets in his water dish, and then goes back to his same spot.
    Mr. Jelly

*superworms not wax worms silly me
    Mr. Jelly

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Once you provide the conditions mentioned he should eat. Limit the use of superworms, only use as treats

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi,
    I've been having a similar problem with my white's tree frog. He was being very lethargic and not eating and then I noticed green spots on him. Took him to the vet and got antibiotics for a bacterial infection but after five days of antibiotics he's looking worse. He also just sits in the back of his tank and has no interest in eating. He also croaks if I touch him which I've never heard him do before. Were you able to get your frog to eat? I've been putting mealworms in there but I can't tell if he's eating them or if they're just escaping from the bowl.
    THank you!!!

Thread Information