Thread: Small bubbles/suds on top of water. Bullfrog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Small bubbles/suds on top of water. Bullfrog

Hello! I have an American Bullfrog in a 40 gallon tank and last night I noticed small bubbles gathering around the walls and plants (fake) in my Aquarium. A quick google search taught me that this is a sign of too much protein in the water. I already do about a 50% water change every 2 weeks or so, but alright I will change the water again.

I did closer to about 70-80% of a water change and while I was at it I scooped out all the rocks to rinse off and clean. I skimmed it with a net to clean out and bigger particles I could, but you could still see floating debris (too small to get with fish net). I also took out my repto filter, cleaned it up good, and replaced the filters. I filled the water back up using brita filtered tap water and then I do use some drops to treat remaining chlorine. After filling back up with water I cleaned up all the plants/rocks/platforms/etc...

Fast forward to this morning, about 8 hours after cleaning and running new clean filters all night. It's still there. Starting to form more and more. I am wondering if it's still just working through what was left in the tank, or do I have a bigger problem? Is this extremely unhealthy for the frog? I plan to take action asap. I'm shocked the water change didn't fix. I can post pictures later when I get home. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Small bubbles/suds on top of water. Bullfrog

Have you found any solution yet? Mine started foaming a little too; we have the same water filter and there was some foam coming up around the plants in front of the "waterfall" area until I removed the fish food (was trying to feed the feeder fish, but they were only eating plants so the food just sat around and turned to mush). Upon doing a little research, it seems like live plants can lead to protein buildup. You mentioned having rocks in there - certain ones can have metals in them, and too much iron (which apparently causes "Eisen" bacteria levels to increase) creates bubbles, so if you have any decorative rocks in there that are reddish in color or have pretty metallic flecks in them that could be a potential source.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Re: Small bubbles/suds on top of water. Bullfrog

I was wondering about this issue to cut down on daily water changes in my african bullfrog tank, has anyone tried a protein skimmer for reef aquariums?

Thread Information