Thread: please help double check my advise i received ! i prefer someone who has successfully kept pacs for a long time. Newbie here

Nationality
    [United States]

Default please help double check my advise i received ! i prefer someone who has successfully kept pacs for a long time. Newbie here

Hi there! i'm a soon to be new pacman owner (as of this coming tuesday). I have joined a few Facebook pages but i'm getting mixed info! I am planning to put him in a 10 gal tank about 4 inches eco earth substrate. Use a tupperware container (short and wide) dug into the substrate so he can get into it. (will be be able to get out if the sides are slick? should i look for something with traction?) I use spring water.
    Okay so humidity at 75% now below 60 or above 80? I also plan to have his UTH on the back side with the edges of the UTH matched up with the lower edges of the tank; attached to a villa thermostat. I plan to put the probe from the thermostat into the tank, down about half way in the substrate.

now feeding, do you hand(tong) feed? how often? i'v been told my guy is about 2 years approx. by mike matson (though the frog i'm purchasing is not coming from him) how much do you feed? do you leave it in? do you mist daily? I know i need to get a thermometer/hydrometer reader (electronic) which do you recommend and how do you place it?

Do i need any other heat source? i've been told no, only UTH and placed to the side of the tank since pacs can't feel heat on their belly.. The person i talked to who seemed super helpful said she uses ceramic heat as well as uth on the side but only because her tank is bioactive and has thicker substrate but the heat alone from UTH was not enough.
    e so he can get into it. (will be be able to get out if the sides are slick? should i look for something with traction?) I use spring water.
    Okay so humidity at 75% now below 60 or above 80? I also plan to have his UTH on the back side with the edges of the UTH matched up with the lower edges of the tank; attached to a villa thermostat. I plan to put the probe from the thermostat into the tank, down about half way in the substrate.

now feeding, do you hand(tong) feed? how often? i'v been told my guy is about 2 years approx. by mike matson (though the frog i'm purchasing is not coming from him) how much do you feed? do you leave it in? do you mist daily? I know i need to get a thermometer/hydrometer reader (electronic) which do you recommend and how do you place it?

Do i need any other heat source? i've been told no, only UTH and placed to the side of the tank since pacs can't feel heat on their belly.. The person i talked to who seemed super helpful said she uses ceramic heat as well as uth on the side but only because her tank is bioactive and has thicker substrate but the heat alone from UTH was not enough.

how often do i need to dust with calcium with D3 and multivitamins? I use the brand REP CAL for both. I read once a week and then to feed every other day? I plan to get some red wrigglers/ night crawlers as a staple.

anything else?
    how often do i need to dust with calcium with D3 and multivitamins? I use the brand REP CAL for both. I read once a week and then to feed every other day? I plan to get some red wrigglers/ night crawlers as a staple.

anything else?

I do keep 3 species of gecko and whites tree frogs, i'm not a complete newbie to reptiles but first pacman so i wanted to get it right. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: please help double check my advise i received ! i prefer someone who has successfully kept pacs for a long time. Newbie here

Pacmans probably can feel belly heat and are very good at thermoregulating. The heat pad is useless on the wall, it goes under the tank for substrate heating. Thermostat probe should be under the substrate and set at 80-84F to stop the glass getting too hot. Use 2" of coir for it to work well. The top of the substrate will be cooler than the bottom about 75F or so but that's fine. You can also use a ceramic heat emitterr or incandescent bulbs instead or as supplemental heat to warm the air. Bio-active set ups are not very good for large frogs like pacmans, they'll uproot plants and probably produce more waste than can be managed. Humidity should be around 60-70%. Crickets or roaches are the best staple, feed them a varied diet of cricket or roach food, fruits and veg, then dust them with something like Repashy Calcium Plus everytime. Nightcrawlers, supplemented superworms and young mice dipped in calcium can be added every few feeds for variety. Feed your frog once a week or less if it's 2 years old, keep an eye on it's weight. Would recommend the book horned frogs by Ray Hunziker and the one by Philippe de Vosjoli as well

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: please help double check my advise i received ! i prefer someone who has successfully kept pacs for a long time. Newbie here

Hi, If you are friends or know Mike Matson I would personally ask him to go over a good setup with you if he has the time. He may not be the nicest to deal with when it comes to purchasing animals but I will have to admit that he produces some of the nicest pacman frogs I have seen, and he is probably one of the biggest breeders of pacmans in the states right now. Again he may have his moments but he can produce some nice frogs I would give a shout and ask him his thoughts on what you have been told and maybe he will help you.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He went on Gecko nation to talk about his pacmans and other frogs, gives some advice there

Member needs to set country!

He would not give me any info he said it was a secrete' although I did ask him about breeding. Sound like a lot of messing about so think I'll stick to my day job lol

Thread Information