Thread: Need help. Is my Pacman sick?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need help. Is my Pacman sick?

Hello, everyone. I've never posted in forums before so I'm new to all of this.

I think my pacman frog is sick. His head (between his eyes) and a little on his back looks kind of pale or gray.
    I got him on Friday from PetSmart (I know it sucks, but I felt I could give him a good home).
    I'm not sure of his age.
    He is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in size.
    He's been eating fine.
    He's eaten maybe 10-15 crickets since I've had him.
    I dust most of them with calcium.

1. Size of enclosure 10 Gal
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences 1 Pacman (1 1/2 to 2 inches in size)
    3. Humidity 70 - 90 (it's hard to keep humidity)
    4. Temperature 74 - 82 Fahrenheit
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish Tapwater with Reptisafe for both
    6. Materials used for substrate Coconut fiber (Eco Earth)
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. 1 big water bowl, 1 small. cave for him to hide in. piece of bark to hide under.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source Crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) ReptiCal - Every other feeding.
    10. Lighting 50W UVA during the day and a 50W Red Heat Emitter at night
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure Lamp
    12. When is the last time he/she ate Yesterday
    13. Have you found poop lately I found poop a few days ago
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. It looks gray around his head and back between his eyes
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) I will try to get one on here
    16. How old is the frog Not sure
    17. How long have you owned him/her 6 days
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred Captive (I'm assuming)
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats I feed him 2-4 crickets a day.
    20. How often the frog is handled I don't really handle him.
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area Low traffic. It's in the corner of my room.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) I change his water every other day, I mist multiple times per day, and I haven't cleaned the tank since before I set it up. (it's only been about 4 days)

In this first picture, it was only a few minutes after I pulled him from his cage.

In this second picture, he had been out of his cage for 20 minutes or so. He looks better.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Need help. Is my Pacman sick?

Doesn't look sick to me. Most likely going to shed soon. Try giving him a warm bath in de-chlorinated water for 20 min.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya I would have to agree that he looks nice and healthy, and by the answers you given you sound to be doing everything right. If hes eating, pooping for ya I wouldn't be to worried. It could just be his coloration.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, when I first pulled him out of his tank, he looked really gray near his eyes (which he didn't look that way when I got him). I pulled him out of there and let him soak for about 20 minutes and his color came back. I was just curious if UVA can be harmful to them? Because I use a 50w UVA Bulb for his day light cycle and I want to make sure it will not burn him or anything since they have sensitive skin.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think his colour is just lightening up a bit because he's probably in better conditions then at the store. He was probably dark at the store because he was cold. Those 3 lines of lighter colour on his back is a pretty common markings for horned frogs. Good luck with your little eating machine.

P.S. all my horned frogs (actually, all my frogs) have UV lights, don't worry about it unless he's like 2 inches from it. As long as you give him a good dept in the substrate, if he doesn't like the light he will dig down.
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AJReptiles.ca

20+ Ball Pythons, 40+ corns, 1 Veiled Chameleons, 20+ Amazon Milk Frogs CB, 30+ Pacman frogs CB, 14 Vietnamese Mossy Frogs CB, 3 Red Eyed Tree Frogs CB, 14 White's Tree frogs, 8 Starry night reed frogs, 1 dog, 8 kids and 4 grand kids.

Thread Information