Thread: Baytril bath for ACF?

Member needs to set country!

Default Baytril bath for ACF?

Are Baytril baths effective?

One of my ACFs hasn't eaten in almost 3 weeks and has no interest in food. One of my other ACFs has a normal appetite but has been struggling to swallow food for a few months - he only manages about half of the time and has lost a lot of weight.

The vet examined the first frog and couldn't find any physical signs of illness but thinks it's a bacterial problem. I've been trying to force feed this frog with food formula given to me by the vet and Baytril (orally) with a syringe, but the frog won't swallow it. I've also been trying to inject the Baytril into the live food of the other frog, but he spits it back out if it's injected with Baytril.

Because they won't swallow the antibiotics, the vet prescribed 1 litre baths with 20ml Baytril for 8 hours a day (both frogs in the same bath). I'm sure the vet knows best, but still I can't help being concerned that this may harm them because of the drastic PH change, alcohol volume, and staying in the same tiny amount of water for 8 hours. Everything I've seen online recommends bathing frogs in Baytril solutions for much smaller amounts of time (around 15 minutes).
    Also I've been given a different food formula for the non-eating frog, and the instructions say to mix it into the Baytril bath solution. I don't understand this because 1) how will the frog consume it if it's just mixed in with the water? Do they drink the water? and 2) won't it negatively affect the quality of the water that the frogs will be sitting in for 8 hours?

Opinions? Advice? I don't want to make them any more stressed/ill than they are already.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information