Thread: What and when to feed a Whites Tree Frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default What and when to feed a Whites Tree Frog?

Hello all! I bought my first whites tree frog yesterday, it's a female (I believe) who I named Aileen, and I have her in quarantine just to be on the safe side while I'm letting the plants grow in on her permanent enclosure. Anyways, I bought a bottle of freeze dried crickets and wiggled one in front of her and she didn't touch it or acknowledge it. I was wondering, as the pet store I got her from (not a chain store like petco or petsmart, but a family owned store) fed her live crickets, three crickets per week, so I was curious if she's a little stressed out from the move, or not used to the temperature, or not wanting to eat something that isn't moving/alive. I have her in a 10 gallon vertical aquarium tank, with a screen lid, and a 50 watt bulb as my room can get a little cold. The temperature during the day is 79-80f and 71-79 at night. I'm on my way to petsmart to get some live crickets, just one of the small tubs they sell, to try and wean her off the live crickets and onto the freeze dried, as I had dreams of the crickets escaping everywhere! So, my question is, how often should I feed her? The lady at the store said she was 6 months old, and she's about an inch and a half in length. I felt like three crickets a week wasn't enough, but I may be wrong. What's the best way to gut load live crickets with store but food for crickets?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What and when to feed a Whites Tree Frog?

"Gut loading" is simply fancy talk for feeding them. Just put some food in the tank. I used to put those water crystals in but I found out all crickets really need in the way of water is some food with water content. Maybe a piece of lettice if the store bought food you have is dry.

And frogs are motion sensitive feeders. It's probably not going to be easy to wean your frogs to dead crickets. I'm not sure if it's a good idea but you can try. Live crickets can be a challenge if you don't have steady hands though.

Three crickets a week does seem like not quite enough if she's only six months old. maybe if they're big crickets. How large are those crickets?.

Nationality
    [United States]

I ended up getting some "Flukers calcium cricket quencher" and the crickets have been eating it. I have her a calcium and D3 dusted cricket on Monday, a "large" size cricket from petsmart. Most of the crickets in the little tubs they sell were mostly dead. So I got about 15 large crickets and a few small crickets. They're maybe a half inch in size. The ones at the store I got the frog from were pretty small, about a quarter inch.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Make sure to only feed be commercial gutload every few feedings to the insects. suitable greens and veg should be main gutload. Dust the veg and greens with pure calcium or the insects between supplementation with calcium and multivitamins.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What Jason said. I've noticed mine seem to live longer if fed on veggie pieces as opposed to commercial cricket food. As far as size goes it might be a good idea to get insects the length of the distance between the frogs eyes. That will ensure the frog can swallow it without problems.

Nationality
    [United States]

How often should I feed the frog insects dusted with calcium and D3? Should I get just pure calcium powder? And I'll check the size of the crickets when I get home from school.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Yeah too much calcium and vitamins will kill the crickets, so they die off after 48 hours and it can also be too much for the frog as well if used exclusively. Depends, maybe twice a week calcium and multivitamin dusted insects for growing frogs and once a week for adults, people have suggested and plain calcium in between to get a good Ca:P ratio on the insects, although nightcrawlers or Phoenix worms don't need calcium supplemented as they are high in calcium. I personally use repashy calcium plus and you can use this every time without the hassle of having to buy and mix up two supplements.

Nationality
    [United States]

So the calcium fortified cricket quencher might not be the best thing to feed the crickets all the time, but rather feed them
    things like lettuce, and then the calcium quencher a day or so before feeding them to the frog? I bought repti calcium and repti calcium with D3. Should I do just calcium one day during the week, and calcium with D3 the other day of the week? Is there a big difference in quality between the repti calcium and repashy?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

I don't use this product and it may be good but providing the insects a varied diet is then given the frog a variety of vitamins. Too much of anything is bad. Lettuce is poor in nutrition and mostly water. I use dandelion leafs, alfalfa sprouts, spring greens, sometimes romaine lettuce and kale, carrots, squash, apples, oranges, etc and then every couple of feedings feed a commercial gutload. Calcium without D3 all the time and then something many keepers have done is 1 part calcium and 1 part multivitamin supplement once or twice a week. Not sure if ones better than the other, but Repashy Calcium Plus is definitely high qualitity and convenient

Nationality
    [United States]

OK, thank you for the advice.

Thread Information