Thread: Dubia as a staple diet for WTF (feeding questions)?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Dubia as a staple diet for WTF (feeding questions)?

Hello all,
    I've just gotten my first amphibians and want to make sure I am feeding them correctly. I am planning on primarily relying on my dubia colony to feed my two WTF and supplementing with worms and other feeders on an occasional basis. I currently use my colony to supplement my geckos and BTS's diets so this will be the first time I am using them as a primary food source.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on how to feed... tongs, in a clear glass the dubia cannot escape (but the frogs can see through), or in a separate container vs. in their terrarium? I am guessing off tongs would work best as I don't want to disturb the WTF by moving them and I don't like the idea of dubia free ranging in a planted viv...but I wanted to get your feedback.

Also, what quantity of dubia would you use per feeding (WTF are about 1.5 - 2" long)? The caresheets I've found only say to feed as many as they will eat in 15 minutes and give no input on feeder size. I am planning on starting with an every-other-day feeding schedule then cutting back as the WTF grow.

Finally, this may be a long shot, but I have some frozen dubia from a previous colony sorting (colony got way too large) and I was wondering what the odds were of the WTF accepting those if properly thawed and fed on tongs? My BTS will readily eat them, but not so sure about a motion-based predator like a WTF.

Thank you for your time and help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Dubia as a staple diet for WTF (feeding questions)?

I second the idea that free ranging dubia wouldn't be good. They're so flat they can easily hide under leaf litter or water bowls. They're fast too. A clear glass container would be good if you can fit it in the tank. If the frogs are or become relatively comfortable with you they'll feed off tongs easily. You might have to move the tongs a little bit though. Sometimes the frogs try to eat the tongs or your fingers, but don't worry, after a few seconds they figure out that's impossible.

Also keep in mind dubia are fast moving.

I don't know that there are any studies on dubia as primary food for frogs. I know that dumpies have lived to ripe old ages being fed only crickets, but I don't have any information on dubias. However, I don't think it should matter. Use a vitamin supplement, feed the roaches well and occasionally give the frogs other insects and you should be fine.

Also feeder size: length needs to be no larger than the distance between a frog's eyes. That means that older dubias are out as food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks!
    I'm looking for a container that will work (fit in the tank and not be too large / tall). I already have vitamin and calcium d3 supplements that I dust with BTS/ Geckos, so I can use that for the frogs as well. I believe that dubia are supposed to be higher in protein than crickets, which can only be a good thing (I'd assume).

I feed the extra adults (usually males) to my BTS who can handle that size with ease. I have a lot of 1/2" - 3/4" dubia, so I will check the frogs head size and pick the ones that will work.

Thank you again for your time / help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Also I feel like I should add "no larger than the distance between the frog's eyes" is a rough estimate. You can measure from the center of the eyeballs too. Just as long as the bug's not longer than the frog's head, you know. (Except maybe with nightcrawler pieces but those are soft and bendy and don't count.)

Thread Information