Thread: African clawed frog acting odd

Nationality
    [United States]

Question African clawed frog acting odd

My female ACF (Princess Hotdog Frankenstein) is 5 years old and has always been healthy. She was in a 15 gallon tank for 5 years but escaped three days in a row so I upgraded her to a 35 gallon tank. She's been in this new tank for 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks she was perfect. The past week she's been acting odd though. She's skimming the top of tank constantly and jumping as if trying to escape again. Why?! She's swimming constantly which is not common for her. She has no other symptoms though. She's alone in the tank and I took all the proper ACF tank preparedness measures before relocating her. She's eating fine, no change in eating at all. She eats a balance of organic earth worms, home raised feeder fish, pellets and blood worms. Feeding has never been an issue. She recently shed but everything went as usual with that.
    Im afraid she's going to escape again and if I'm not home while it happens, we all know what that means! I've lowered the water some as well as ensured a secure lid but her behavior is still concerning.
    Water temp is 76 degrees, clean and properly filtered.
    Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African clawed frog acting odd

First, let me welcome you to Frog Forum. As you recently found out that these frogs are not totally 100% aquatic. In the wild and sometimes in captivity, they will leave the water in search of better conditions. I keep each ACF in a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid. Your food choices are OK, I feed my Repto-Min supplemented with a night crawler or red wriggler. You can feed bloodworms as long as they are not freeze dried. Freeze dried food can cause bloating in ACFs as well as ADFs.

The only concern I have is water temperature. The optimum temperature should be 68-72(F) degrees. Temperatures approaching 80(F) degrees can be fatal, this maybe what's behind the escaping behavior. I keep mine at room temperature and never needed a heater. Filtration system is a must.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

4. 2 members thank tgampper for this post:

Thread Information