Thread: Learm All You Can About Horned Frogs Before You Purchase One!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile Learm All You Can About Horned Frogs Before You Purchase One!

A little piece of advice before you go and buy a Horned Frog. Read as much as you can about the care and maintenance of them. Buy all the books on Horned Frogs there are. And join this Forum. You shouldn't go wrong!

2. 2 members thank AKFROG for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Learm All You Can About Horned Frogs Before You Purchase One!

I think this advice could apply to pretty much any kind of pet, so many people buy animals but don't have a clue what there needs are. I see this with dogs a lot, its like people that buy huskies and live near the desert or somewhere it never snows or drops below zero, yes theres ways to compensate for the cold but its not the same. They need snow. And with frogs and other amphibians you don't have a big window for mistakes before they start to become ill, some of the treefrog species are very unforgiving to mistakes. Its one of the things that make me kind of shy away from them.

5. This member thanks monster for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Learm All You Can About Horned Frogs Before You Purchase One!

I forgive beginners, as when I first started out I had no idea they'd need so much special care. You learn from your mistakes. But it's the people who already have herps that annoy me when they do this. They should already know that it's not so simple and that planning needs to be done prior to getting the animal. Yet, they'll get the frog on impulse and then do a quickie search online and on the forums for how to set it up or asking why their frog is not feeding when it's being kept below the recommended temperatures. I only use the forum to give advice, talk and ask questions from hobbyists in which my books can't answer.

The problem is that pet shops are happy to sell to anyone a delicate animal without asking how much exactly the customer knows about that animal, if they have an enclosure ready and what it's like. There are good pet shops that will ensure they're animals are going to good homes, but most I've encountered have not. I think it should be enforced that they ask these questions and are willing and knowledgable enough to answer any questions and provide good advice, otherwise they have no right to be selling the animals in the first place.

Cory, try USA green tree frogs or barking treefrogs, easy peasy and really hardy!

Thread Information