Thread: How can I keep humidity and heat up in a 10 gallon with screen lid?

Default How can I keep humidity and heat up in a 10 gallon with screen lid?

So I got my 10 gallon for my frog and I have a 40 watt light, and I mist it until it is 80% humidity. I only have a problem keeping it like that. So I have put foil over half of the screen but then it gets too hot and takes the humidity away, so I have to mist the cage like 6 times a day to keep it ideal. If I remove the foil all the humidity goes away as well as the heat. Is there a better way to do this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: How can I keep humidity and heat up in a 10 gallon with screen lid?

Good question, I've been struggling with this as well. I had to end up shooting more for a range of 70-75% so i didn't go crazy with constantly misting. As i understand it, between 70-80% is supposed to be OK, and it's easier for me to maintain the lower range. I also end up just misting a good amount and then whatever the little leftover amount of water in the mister bottle is when it won't reach the straw anymore (which I've never measured but seems to probably be about 1/4 cup or so) I pour on the substrate in the areas that get the most heat to really get them moist deep down so that when the heat bakes off the moisture of the top layer it still stays humid thanks to the underlying moisture. It seems to work OK for me (not constantly misting) and her (happy frog). About two days ago we also switched to one of the small Exo Terra tanks with the swing open doors and that has made a big difference as well. The screen on top is finer so I think it helps with the humidity, and there's less space so it's easier to keep a smaller space humid than a larger. That and it saves my nerves (and hers) from all of the jostling and clanking when I need to get in the tank of having to adjust the lamp stand up, remove the foil and lid, etc and then replace it all. Keeping the pond full all the time helps me too, it acts as a natural reservoir that evaporates and keeps humidity up when it gets too warm.

Oh! Maybe a silly question, but do you have a thermostat attached to your lamp? I'm assuming it's a ceramic heat emitter, or..? There's no need to worry about losing heat or having excessive heat when you have one, really. That has saved me so much grief. I have an Inkbird one with dual temps for day and night.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

I barely mist my tank, I just make sure the substrate is soaked nicely so the frogs can stay moist.
    Also putting a water source under your lamp will help in not directly drying the top layer of substrate.

Or you can buy an automatic misting machine on amazon!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You need to cover you top screen completely, then cut a hole for your lamp a bit bigger then its diameter. Usually covering 3/4 of the screen is enough though. After that there are 2 options:
    1. Get a frogger and heating lamp ( ceramic heat emitter), plug it all into hydroterm ( controller) and live worry free.
    2. Get heating lamp (ceramic heat emitter), the dome should have a dimmer. And then constantly run back to the tank to check on your gauges until you get proper conditions and adjust them constantly. The gauges should be digital, or you can use temp gun for temps.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Member needs to set country!

Just how Lima says. Cover the screen.

Thread Information