Thread: Pacman not eating?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Pacman not eating?

On September 1st I bought a pacman frog from Petsmart, they said she was a female, they also said she should eat about 2-3 crickets a day and increase. At first she did, now she'll go almost a week with out eating and I'm getting worried. She definitely won't eat them with calcium powder or when they have wings. Even when I put then on tongs and get her to bite them she spits them out. Yesterday I did a full substrate change and noticed her butt seems a little boney and I can kind of feel her spine in general. She's my first pacman and even though I keep doing research I'm so so worried I'm doing something wrong. Especially with her not eating. When I first got her I'd put a couple large crickets in and she's hop around a little bit and get them, now I'm lucky if I can get her to open her mouth for 2.
    Bedding: 1.5 inches of economic earth
    Day temperature: 75-85 (usually stays about 80)
    Night temperature: 60-65
    Humidity: 50-80 (I can not keep it at a steady level to save my life. Was planing on going Bioactive soon to see if that'll help but I want to make sure she's okay first, usually stays at 80)
    Habitat: 10 gallon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Pacman not eating?

Hi, do you feed anything besides crickets? It may be tired of them and want something new, try some nightcrawlers and see how that goes. For your temps 80f isn't to bad but if you get it up to a steady 82f during the day that would good, and let it drop to about 75f at night. 60f to 65f is way to low, your frog may not be hungry because its having a hard time digesting its food. For the humidity I personally keep mine at 75%, if it keeps dropping really fast you can try to cover half the top with saran wrap or tin foil. I do this and I cover the middle portion of the top and keep each side open, so if the top was 20 inches long I would cover 10 inches of the middle and leave 5 inches open on each end. This way theres a intake and outtake for the air flow.

4. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow, 60-65 temp is really really bad, Cory covered all the basics already, I'll add a few things.

Given a frog is at 75-80 during a day, hopefully there is no irreversible damage yet. Please fix it ASAP! That is the very major immediate thing you need to do. And hopefully that would fix the problem. Humidity variable like yours is not too bad, it's probably higher when you mist it, then dries out more in between. Do what Cory suggested, very good trick to keep humidity up.
    you can get hydrotherm, plug the frogger into it and heating lamp and you are good, that is a controller that maintains climate how you program it.
    regarding bioactive...... I have a thing when people calling it that lol sorry nothing personal, but it brings back memories of fb group of idiots that throw in things without doing anything to them in a tank, and calls it bioactive.....
    sorry, off topic what you are wanting to do is probably naturalistic tank or vivarium, in that case.... not the best idea, these big frogs produce too much waste to maintain mini ecosystem safely, you can put live pothos, but keep in mind you will be still changing the substrate monthly if you really want to do live plants, you can get a planter or background that would allow you to plant something above the substrate.
    Last edited by Lija; November 13th, 2016 at 11:14 PM.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

6. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you! I had given her meal worms once upon a time to try and didn't even realize that that was about the time she stopped eating! I don't have access to night crawlers, but I bought some meal worms today and (alonget with getting the temperature regulated) she ate so many! I'm so happy! Thank you! Are they okay for a regular food or do I need to try to get her to eat other stuff with them? I dusted a few of them with calcium.

8. This member thanks vwarren for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Nope, sorry, mealworms are very high in chitin = high impaction risk. You do not want to deal with impaction, trust me!
    You should be able to get access to night crawlers, they are also called dew worms and commonly used for a fish bait. Any store that sells fishing stuff would have them, i was told people in US buy them at the gas stations and Walmart including. You can do dubia too, just get small colony going and you are good for a long time.

congrats on eating! Hopefully you solved the problem!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Member needs to set country!

We fill a container full of very warm water with soap and pour in on our lawn. Hundreds of night crawlers will come up. Collect and rinse

Thread Information