Thread: New to Pac-man frogs need a little help

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Default New to Pac-man frogs need a little help

I bought a tiny little Pac-man frog today, just larger than a quarter. I'm wondering how often should I mist the tank/frog during the day and how to tell when it's needed vs just going overboard. He seems to like the crickets I'm giving but not sure how many a tiny little guy can eat without overstuffing him. Should I yank the legs off the cricket first or leave it as is? Lastly, I've been using distilled water but have read I should just treat water with the same stuff I use in my fish tanks to remove unwanted stuff is this true?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: New to Pac-man frogs need a little help

Hey, congrats on the new frog. First off if you don't already have a temperature and a humidity gauge you are going to need to get one. You want your humidity be around 75%, don't let it go below 60% for to long and not over 80%. I like to keep mine around the 75% mark, you should only have to mist a couple times a day. You want your daytime temps to be around 80f to 85f, 82 to 83 is a nice and comfy temp for them. At night let your temps drop a few degrees and this will trigger his natural instincts that's its time to eat. Give him 12 hrs of day light and 12 hrs nightlight. For the water to expand his substrate and put in his water bowl you want to use tap water treated with declorinator, something like Prime for fish or Reptisafe or use bottled spring. Distilled water is very pure of anything and after time it will leach all the good minerals that your frog needs out of him. For the feeding if hes just a tiny guy you could offer him a few little crickets every night and once he gets abit bigger star giving him cut up nightcrawler. Oh and one of the most important things is make sure you give him his vitamins, he needs calcium and d3 and multivitamin. Don't give them on the same night unless its a product designed to do so like Repashy calcium plus, this is the product I use and would recommend it because its really good and easier then trying to remember which nights he got or gets what. Cheers and I hope this helps you out a bit.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

My little guy won't eat! it's been 3 days and he won't eat. He buried himself for the first 2 and now he's not hiding but refuses any crickets I shove his way, with tongs, and it's got me worried. His temp and humid are around what is suggested, soil is moist but not soaking and using treated tap water. Is it just the move that got him upset or should I be more concerned?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I've totally stopped misting the past year and my frogs are happy as can be. I make sure the substrate is nice and moist, add water as needed. remember if your frog burrows the substrate will still be wet under even if its bone dry on the very top.

When it gets this dry on top, I will pour some water on and mix it. Seeing as I take them out AT LEAST once a week to feed them, and re-moisten the substrate every time, I barely find myself having to add more water between feedings.

If you want to mist, you have to invest in a good gauge, a lot of them don't work. Keep in mind, if you are misting, it is not possible to keep a constant humidity any more than with my method of keeping the substrate moist because humidity is measured in the ambient air, if there isn't a constant source/proper conditions for keeping that humidity in, then it won't remain steady.
    Unless you are measuring your humidity by having your monitor in or right above your substrate, then it is still only measuring the immediate humidity which is rather pointless to mist as opposed to wetting the substrate once a week .

Also, have a BIG water bowl. When I had a water bowl, my frogs would stay in it max 1 day, now that i made my tank 50/50, my male frog stays in the water side ALL week between feedings, and hasn't left it for the past 3 weeks. Absolutely LOVES it, my female spend 4 days in the water.
    This will eliminate the possibility of dehydration/drying out also.

I couldn't recommend anything more than having 50/50 split, to allow the frog to swim freely

Thread Information