Thread: Identification and some newbie questions

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Identification and some newbie questions

Hello! I'm a brand new member to the forum and had some questions about a frog I just picked up. I'm more of a snake guy myself but wanted to get into frogs a little. First question is, what type of frog did I buy? It was sold to me as a "Fantasy Flame". Second I was wondering if the substrate I use will have an effect on his color? I seem to remember seeing beautiful frogs come into my reptile shop and within weeks of being on eco earth or related substrates their color drastically faded? Those were c. cranwelli(think that's spelt wrong sorry) tho and I'm not sure if it matters species to species. Final question was if it's ok to feed the Haikari PAC Attack to my new addition. Thank you all for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Identification and some newbie questions

Welcome to the forums! I'll move your thread to pacman section.

That is what we called fantasy, that is not C. Cranwelli, that is a cross between C. Cranwelli and C. Cornuta. Yours is albino - means you need to be very careful with light, especially no UVB for that guy. Beautiful frog by the way!
    Care - same as any other Pacman frog.

Color will fade no matter what you do with age and yes, it somewhat adapts to the environment. The question - do you want to see the colour or make your frog as stress free and comfortable as possible?

based on what I see in the pic you use coco husk, these big pieces are dangerous ( impaction risk), please change that substrate to cocofiber ( plantation soil, ecoearth) or papertowels.

diet - that PAC attack personally I don't like, the consistency in particular, but its personal preference. For these frogs the variety is a key, so if you want that food that's fine, but I wouldnt use it as a staple. It has been around not for long, nobody really knows long term usage consequences. There is also samurai PAC food, that out of powders I like better, but again who knows how feeding just that will affect a frog 10-15 years down the road. I prefer natural - nightcrawlers, dubia and everything else is once in a while. Supplements are the must too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yes hes a fantasy frog, fantasy flame may just be the morph name. I see Lija is looking at this thread so I will let her answer the other questions. Man that's a beautiful frog, looks to me like its a Ornate x cornuta instead of Cranwelli x cornuta. I think this because those blood reds are usually found on the ornate. Again nice pickup.

Nationality
    [United States]

Would the paper towels stress out the frog not being able to bury itself? Would that be something to use until he has some size to him and them move him to coco fiber? I'll do anything to keep the frog as stress free as possible but I would also like to have the best chance at keeping his color. About the PAC attack, I just saw it and wanted to give it a try. To my pixie I feed Dubia worms and the occasional rodent which I was planning to do the same with the new addition.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Papertowels is what we use during quarantine period, but they need to be changed daily. It is not as comfortable for a frog for sure, but it gives us an ability to see poops/pees and monitor closely frog as well. That is not something you use for permanent enclosure.

Dubia are great, you might want to add nightcrawlers to a diet too, they soften the stool and very good to keep things moving better
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha that's what I meant by worms, sorry! Thank you so so much for your reply's!!! Glad to be a lot more informed

Thread Information