Thread: what do you feed those really big male african bullfrogs?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default what do you feed those really big male african bullfrogs?

Mostly curious. Mine is still a baby but I could imagine they would need to eat at least dozen nightcrawlers in one shot..Just wondering what Im in for.
    What exactly is on the menu for those biggies besides mice(I see that on youtube).
    Also do you put them on a plate or what? Mine eats off hemostats right now but isnt the best shot and sometimes grabs the tongs.
    My two frogs..one albino pacman(cranwelli) and one african bullfrog..Both unknown genders.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: what do you feed those really big male african bullfrogs?

A dozen? Mine ate 97 super worms yesterday, thats 4 days after he ate about 70 of them.

100 super worms costs 8,50$ up here . Nightcrawlers cost 10$ for 25, so the choice is super worms for sure. Also, my frog has troubles catching nigh trawlers because they are so slippery and he doesn't eat dead or from tongs. If he was hungry enough he would, but I don't starve my frogs.

Mice are only good once every 2 months or so, they are bad for the frog due their nutritional value stopping absorption of calcium and being very high in fat. I heard they don't digest fur very well either.

But I am not exaggerating when I say they eat a lot. Easily 20$ a week on just my male is possible.

Throw in some horned worms, they are a bit pricey but are meant as a treat.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh, and for feeding, I went to walmart and bought a dish washing station... its literally a 4$ plain white plastic bin used for soaking dishes and stuff. There are no ridges lol just a regular smooth bin. This way food stays in the bin and doesn't run away.

Feeding tongs are good to teach, but make sure they can catch it themselves. Makes your life easier when he eats 100 worms# . Also its obviously un natural for them to tong feed.

My frogs don't eat off tongs, one of them has before on a few worms... but then again there is no benefit unless feeding frozen mice which you should only feed rarely therefore defeating any purpose of tong feeding anyway.

Hope this helps, check out my youtube channel of my frogs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30lSJTk61UI

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice video, that frog just keeps eating.Yours is quite a bit bigger then mine and mine may turn out to be a female too. I actually suspect a female, either way is fine..My pacman will only eat nightcrawlers and nothing else..lol.

What do they eat in the wild? I doubt they would ever come across that many superworms or nightcrawlers. I imagine they eat alot of other frogs..Lol
    Nightcrawlers are about the same in cost as supers. So its about 3 dollars a dozen for either one.
    I do have a colony of dubias Im building up and hoping it to be pretty large in the next 6 months.Im just planning ahead for a mixed diet. I always have frozen mice because I have snakes but have only fed the bullfrog a couple of pinks since Ive had it.
    My two frogs..one albino pacman(cranwelli) and one african bullfrog..Both unknown genders.

Nationality
    [Canada]

In the wild I believe these guys will eat anything that they can catch and fit in there mouth. Due to there size they more then likely eat a lot more rodents, amphibians, small reptiles and the occasional small bird if they catch it. There is a guy on youtube and hes actually a member of this sight with a ABF named Mr. pickles, I seen him feed his a dead bird once and he ate that thing there was no tomorrow. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying feeding birds from outside is the way to feed your frog, its just more of trying to prove the point that these are eating machines and will eat anything. I have wanted one of these forever and had the chance a couple times over the summer to get one but due to feeding all the other mouths in the house at the moment had to pass it up due to the cost of there diet.

7. This member thanks monster for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Okay I just replied to like 5 threads about superworms..... so I'll just say short version - they are bad!

as for amounts big guys eat, well it depends on a frog, my big boy (4y old) eats about 5-6 nightcrawlers at once, he goes off food completely for 2-3-4 weeks during winter season, spring-summer he eats about once or twice a week.

Blinktwice - I see you from Calgary, you possibly saw my guy, i always bring him at reptile expos.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

9. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Okay I just replied to like 5 threads about superworms..... so I'll just say short version - they are bad!

as for amounts big guys eat, well it depends on a frog, my big boy (4y old) eats about 5-6 nightcrawlers at once, he goes off food completely for 2-3-4 weeks during winter season, spring-summer he eats about once or twice a week.
    That really isnt that much food. My little one eats 2 nightcrawlers and about 8 dubia roaches right now.

11. This member thanks miranda2 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They eat huge amount of food in a first year, while they are growing fast, but once they are adults they slow down, mine is not even close to what he used to eat when he was younger.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

13. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Thread Information