Thread: Please help. Grey tree frog not moving or eating. So skinny I can see his bones:(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Please help. Grey tree frog not moving or eating. So skinny I can see his bones:(

I'm so worried about my frog. I have had him for about 3 months.

He is a Northern grey tree frog.

He is wild caught I never meant to get him.
    My husband and I saved him from our cats he had no marks or anything the cats were just pawing him to see what the jumpy thing was. But he hopped into the living room and into our hearts and now 3 months later here we are.

He used to eat fruit flies but I just very recently switched him to pinhead crickets dusted with rep-powder but he won't eat or really move at all and he is so skinny i can see his back bones and his tummy is sunken in.

This is the same frog that chased down a fly two weeks ago hopping everywhere for it.

He still has quite the powerful hop.
    I admit when I saw him being so lethargic I got panicky and picked him up to check his limbs and he unhappily hopped away. So he isn't too weak to hop he just doesn't want to and won't eat either.
    When I mist around him and some water gets on him he wipes it off so I know his front and back limbs look like they're in working order.

I'm so worried.

I live in a small town in Minnesota so we dont have amphibian or herp vets I have to go to the cities for that.
    Which is hours and hours away.

But I have been looking into vets there if I need to go.

I love my frog and his croaky little personality.

Every day I go to his quarantine tank I dread he will be dead.

Please help me.

Thank you so much in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Hong Kong]

Default Re: Please help. Grey tree frog not moving or eating. So skinny I can see his bones:(

Can you post a photo of your frog? You may need to upload it on an external site first.
    Frogs owned:
    3 red eyed tree
    3 amazon milk
    3 fringe
    1 malayan leaf
    1 bushveld rain frog
    2 tripirion petasatus
    2 honey white's tree

Boarding:
    2 waxy monkey tree
    3 anotheca spinosa
    2 fringe
    3 cruziohyla calcifer
    9 mutant pacman frogs
    1 african bullfrog

Follow my instagram: bonitathepetsitter

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Please help. Grey tree frog not moving or eating. So skinny I can see his bones:(

I have some sad news.

Right after I posted that post I had a strong urge to see my frog and went to see him I put my finger down and he crawled onto it and then I sat him down on a paper plate and checked him over and he gave one hop and that was all the energy he had left. He completely was still I picked him up and I could see him breathing under his chin and then he wasn't.

He took his last breath on my hand. I didn't think it was possible to cry so much over something so tiny. But I loved that frog with all his great froggy personality.

I woke my husband up bawling my eyes out and he comforted me and we are going to bury him later today.

I'm going to bury him in his water dish because he just loved that water dish he would sit in it at least once a day. He was such an active frog.

It breaks my heart to see him huddled up now and still.

However if it had to happen I'm glad he died in my hands.
    I didn't know it was goodbye until he was gone.
    But im glad I was there instead of finding him the next morning dreading if when I go see him if he will be alive or not.

Sorry such a long post I'm emotional right now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sorry and I'm sorry that this didn't get a response earlier, but it sounds like he was stressed to death, which is something that can happen. I'm not sure there was anything that could be done, I'm sorry.

6. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I'm sorry and I'm sorry that this didn't get a response earlier, but it sounds like he was stressed to death, which is something that can happen. I'm not sure there was anything that could be done, I'm sorry.
    Thank you for your condolences I have been very upset about what happened.

I have done research and looked at pictures and compared symptoms and it seems like he had MBD.

I'm not a frog expert by any means so I have no idea 100% but he had all the symptoms except spasm though when I was watching him in his quarantine tank his head did a weird shiver that looked like a seizure for a couple seconds so that quite possibly could have been a spasm.
    Also when I said he wasn't eating he at first did try but it was like he couldn't eat them he went to dive for them but couldn't open his mouth wide enough to get them in and his limbs were.. I can only describe it as twisted like someone with bad arthritis they were all bent in these weird angles at rest but he could still hop so they didn't appear to be broken just twisted and odd looking.

But I rarely ever took him out of his tank only to move him to clean and change his coconut fiber and to be fed.
    Which when I changed or cleaned his tank I'd use a little jar to transfer him but when he was being moved to his feeder tank I would put my wet finger in front of him and he eventually associated finger with food and bowl with cleaning tank/bedding.
    So he would climb onto my finger himself if I put it in front of his chin.

Just like when he died this morning I put my wet finger in front of him and he climbed on which got me excited because I thought maybe he wanted to eat.

If it was MBD it hurts my heart to know because I could have prevented it.

I learned the importance of calcium/vitamin dusted crickets too late

Because when I got the rep powder he couldn't even eat one of the dusted crickets.

Froggy did not die in vain I sadly learned a hard lesson to make sure they get dusted crickets it is vital to their health.

Maybe after some time and a lot more research to be extra sure and not risk my ignorance being the death of it I may get another frog.

I'm going to miss his croaky mornings where he would croak so randomly in the morning and hop around in his tank like a crazed pin ball just before he settled in for the day of resting. He was so active and had a big personality for a frog

Thank you everyone for caring it is great to see how much everyone cares for these awesome amphibians.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's the thing. By the time frogs show symptoms of MBD, it may be too late for supplements to help. Still, you know now and that's something.

Research is always a good thing with pets!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry for your loss One other thing I would add is that the frog likely had parasites. Unfortunately, wild caught frogs tend to come along with them and the stress of new captivity allows for them to take over.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

10. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry for your loss, it's never easy to lose any animal, especially one you've gotten attached to. I do agree with the above posts, it sounds like MBD. Something else, were the crickets and fruit flies you fed him fed before hand? He might not have gotten all the necessary nutrients from his prey foods (Such as vitamins and minerals that the food ate which the frog gets after eating the insects) and that combined with the MBD and stress from moving into captivity probably put him over the edge. Once again, sorry for your loss

Nationality
    [Canada]

So sorry for your loss,
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information