Thread: mystery tadpoles

Default mystery tadpoles

So I got some tree frog tadpoles on eBay from Florida(yeah I know, sounds sketchy but I wasn't expecting much). They arrived and surprisingly were all fairly healthy, as I ordered eggs instead of live tadpoles they were a bit more protected during the journey I think. I have them in ~78 degree conditioned well water, being fed boiled/frozen baby spinach. I had one die a few hours after it arrived on the 24th, today I had 2 more die(not sure why) but the rest seem to be doing well. I hope the loss is done with and I can have the rest mature. I just bought some duckweed for them to help with water quality, I put a light above them temporarily just for viewing and noticed they are all flocking to the top close to the light. I had thought tadpoles didn't need light.

So is how I am caring for them ok sounding so far and what would anyone's opinions on how they are reacting to the light. I can post pictures, by they are small enough there isn't much detail.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: mystery tadpoles

Quote Originally Posted by Dispiacere View Post
    So I got some tree frog tadpoles on eBay from Florida(yeah I know, sounds sketchy but I wasn't expecting much). They arrived and surprisingly were all fairly healthy, as I ordered eggs instead of live tadpoles they were a bit more protected during the journey I think. I have them in ~78 degree conditioned well water, being fed boiled/frozen baby spinach. I had one die a few hours after it arrived on the 24th, today I had 2 more die(not sure why) but the rest seem to be doing well. I hope the loss is done with and I can have the rest mature. I just bought some duckweed for them to help with water quality, I put a light above them temporarily just for viewing and noticed they are all flocking to the top close to the light. I had thought tadpoles didn't need light.

So is how I am caring for them ok sounding so far and what would anyone's opinions on how they are reacting to the light. I can post pictures, by they are small enough there isn't much detail.

What type of water are you currently putting them in? Did you dechlorinate it? I would keep the light on and provide ample hiding spaces from said light as of now, since they're a mystery bunch I can't give you alot of information.

If you can, try those Algae waffers made for catfish and what not, I've had sucess with them.

I'm Floridian but I've only raised Florida Toads from Egg to Frog. So not much of an expert.
    If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Its well water that has been conditioned with prime(it dechlorinates and removes heavy metals)
    Yeah, I am thinking thats what I am going to do its just weird because I never heard anything about lights before. And I am feeding algae wafers along with the spinach, for variety
    thanks for the reply

Nationality
    [United States]

You're doing great, and no problem. I've used prime before for my fire bellied toads so I know its a great product, can we get a few pictures?
    If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How big is that and how many do you have in there? I had a 20 gallon tank for my tadpoles and I was doing DAILY water changes with it. They literally do nothing but eat and poop. They look like they could be tree frogs, but I have come to the realization that tadpoles are near impossible to ID. My grey tree frog tadpoles looked very similar to my leopard frog tadpoles, but the leopard frogs ended up being about twice the size of the grey tree frog tadpoles before popping legs. Here is an ID table so you can see if that helps you out a bit - https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e14d8ace48.jpg

Here is my tadpole diary if you want to take a look through it - http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=36240

Seriously, have fun with these guys. Raising tadpoles was a blast!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information