Thread: New red eyed tree frog owner needs help?!

Default New red eyed tree frog owner needs help?!

Hey everyone! Hoping someone can answer a few questions because I've read different things on all different sites!!!

1. How do I know my little "ribbit" is eating his crickets? Because after putting them in they hide? (Shop owner said not to hand feed just put them in viv)

2. Do I need to spray "ribbit" or just the viv?

3. What is the best temp/humidity levels? I understand red eyes are very sensitive so would like to get this perfect, but all the sites I've read have varied quite a bit.

4. Do I need to buy a fogger?

5.He changes colour from light green to dark green and back again is this normal and why?

6. Finally... How do I know he's happy?

thanks everyone!!! I have only ever owned whites

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New red eyed tree frog owner needs help?!

Hello there I'm not a master but I have 2 RETF for 3 months now and they are pretty healthy. I put the crickets in a plastic container in the viv and the next morning is empty or tilt . Lol But that's just my way of feeding if you see poop in the viv is a sign is eating. Both but you shouldn't spray him directly and also have a water source inside his viv . Temp is usually good in it 70-80 degree during the day but at night it could get cool and humidity 50-70%. It's okay that he goes from light to darker it's part of their nature when they are sleeping they tend to blend incase of preditors in the wild. And he's a happy frog if everything is done right.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thank you chelie, he has gone back to a lovely bright green I can't see any crickets in there this morning, but I will get a container, how big do you recommend? Also, I have his temp at 75 and humidity is 65 currently is this okay? It tends to go up during the day

Nationality
    [United States]

You're welcome [emoji4] well as long as they not hiding on the dirt or escaping, he's eating lol. I use a 16oz simply because it's not to big nor little and crickets tend to jump out sometimes which is ok. Yes that's fine, don't worry as long as in between that temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiinklepear View Post
    Thank you chelie, he has gone back to a lovely bright green I can't see any crickets in there this morning, but I will get a container, how big do you recommend? Also, I have his temp at 75 and humidity is 65 currently is this okay? It tends to go up during the day

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey everyone! Hoping someone can answer a few questions because I've read different things on all different sites!!!

1. How do I know my little "ribbit" is eating his crickets? Because after putting them in they hide? (Shop owner said not to hand feed just put them in viv)
    If the crickets are still there you will hear them, even if they hide the frog will get em. The least you touch your frog the better it is.

2. Do I need to spray "ribbit" or just the viv?
    The viv but if the frog get mist, it's ok.

3. What is the best temp/humidity levels? I understand red eyes are very sensitive so would like to get this perfect, but all the sites I've read have varied quite a bit.
    Between 60 and 80%.

4. Do I need to buy a fogger?
    As far as I am concern, It is just cute, Give your terrarium a great look. find it nice with the blue (moon light.

5.He changes colour from light green to dark green and back again is this normal and why?
    Someone else could answer better but it has to do with camouflage and mood.

6. Finally... How do I know he's happy?
    Happy... very big word for a frog, comfortable I would say. Not sure but if they are sleeping well in the day and you can do some work in the viv, and they keep their eyes closed,mean the're not stress. Active at night is good. And a clean viv.

Have a nice day.

7. This member thanks Lucky luc for this post:

Nationality
    [Hong Kong]

What is your tank size and substrate?

1. If your frogs are young, you should not keep it in a big tank. Using paper towels is the best. I got mine as adults (around 9-12 months old) and have been using paper towels in a big tank for easy monitoring.

2. I do not spray the viv often as my current location's humidity (Hong Kong) is quite high from Spring to Autumn. In the Winter, I do spray the viv maybe twice a day, but the humidity sometimes is around 40% only even after spraying and they have survived several winters like that.

3. I keep humidity from Spring to Autumn around 80% because HK is just very humid (cannot lower the humidity much as I do not have dehumidifier), but they have been fine from 40-60 too during winter.

4. No fogger needed to be honest, they are quite sturdy.

5. That's fine and normal, depends on mood and for camoflauge.

6. They will be happy as long as the tank is spacious, clean water and clean substrate!

Mine are already 4 years old.
    Frogs owned:
    3 red eyed tree
    3 amazon milk
    3 fringe
    1 malayan leaf
    1 bushveld rain frog
    2 tripirion petasatus
    2 honey white's tree

Boarding:
    2 waxy monkey tree
    3 anotheca spinosa
    2 fringe
    3 cruziohyla calcifer
    9 mutant pacman frogs
    1 african bullfrog

Follow my instagram: bonitathepetsitter

Hello, thank you for your reply! And thank you luckyluc too! My tank is 45x45x45 and my substrate is a mixture of pebbles, moss and bark. I was told by the shop owner that he is an "adolescent" as she had had him for quite a while (along with another which I'm hoping to get too ) so he's pretty big.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome and congrats on your new frog! I put my answers in red. Sorry if I repeat someone, I didn't read through the entire thread.

1. How do I know my little "ribbit" is eating his crickets? Because after putting them in they hide? (Shop owner said not to hand feed just put them in viv)gI bowl feed my red eyes. Just put the crickets in a smooth glass bowl that is at least 1.5 inches high. They cannot escape easily from there. That also prevents your frogs from taking up a mouthful of substrate.

2. Do I need to spray "ribbit" or just the viv? I spray the viv but occasionally a frog is in my way and gets sprayed also. I don't intentionally spray them though.

I successfully keep mine at 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity is always 70-80 in my tanks.

4. Do I need to buy a fogger? I switched to a fogger on one of my tanks recently and prefer it, but it isn't necessary. I have it set on a timer so it doesn't make things too wet.

5.He changes colour from light green to dark green and back again is this normal and why?Normal! They turn dark green for hunting at night. I even have one that turns herself dark purple! Their color variations are pretty amazing.

6. Finally... How do I know he's happy? If he's eating normal, pooping normal, and shedding normal. Basically, if his needs are met, then he's "happy"

2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information