Thread: How can I make him eat

Default How can I make him eat

My frog has been a while eating poorly. Last time, it took 1.5 months between meals. My plan is to make a schedule for feeding. But I do not know how often he should eat. I've had him for a year but I guess he is 1.5 years old. I jumps between the crickets and grasshoppers, and once a month he gets a pinkie.
    How often should he eat? every other day?

Skickat från min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: How can I make him eat

His weight looks good, which leads me to believe that you may be keeping him at too cool of a temperature. Tell us how your keeping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Razer View Post
    His weight looks good, which leads me to believe that you may be keeping him at too cool of a temperature. Tell us how your keeping him.
    The temperature is around 20 degrees, perhaps too low. I have had a problem getting to the heat when the terrarium is high. So I have focused on the heat from below. I use the plantation soil, the plants (live and plastic) and moisturizes with spray once a day. He ate a second pinkies a week ago and today has eaten two large grasshoppers with vitamin powder on. he has not shown interest earlier. He has also "talked" almost every day for a few weeks. So he has become more "active" but my frustration / anxiety is still there

20 degrees I mean celsius, think that is almost 70 Fahrenheit

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya that's a little cool for them during the day, you want to try and get it up around 82f during the day and let it drop some in the night. And something to think about is if the air is only 70f then the substrate will be even colder meaning its probably sitting in the 60's some were. He is more then likely having a hard time digesting what he has already eaten. For the feeding question, mine are adults and they are fed a nice big meal once a week and they are happy. The odd time one will show signs he/she is hungry half way through the week so I will give something to hold them over till the big feed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Ya that's a little cool for them during the day, you want to try and get it up around 82f during the day and let it drop some in the night. And something to think about is if the air is only 70f then the substrate will be even colder meaning its probably sitting in the 60's some were. He is more then likely having a hard time digesting what he has already eaten. For the feeding question, mine are adults and they are fed a nice big meal once a week and they are happy. The odd time one will show signs he/she is hungry half way through the week so I will give something to hold them over till the big feed.

Agree

8. This member thanks Razer for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Like the before have mentioned you temperature should be 27-28 C. I wouldn't feed your Horned Frog mice. There can be health problems feeding rodents. Also are they really grasshoppers or are they crickets? There is a difference. If they are wild caught grasshoppers there can be a problem of parasites. You also need to " dust" the food with vitamins. Good Luck.

I have now moved the cage to another place where the heat is better. I have even sent for a stronger heat lamp and moved the heat mat below the terrarium so it ended up in the middle where he usually spends his time. I have also started a small heating pad on the side of the terrarium. Grasshoppers are purchased in cans, even the crickets (currently have no possibility of live food at my home). I give vitamins every second or third time I feed. I really hope this helps

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

It's best to put the mat at one side rather than the middle, so there is a thermal gradient. You won't need a heat lamp if it's under the tank, or another mat on the wall. Most mats should provide suffiecent heat and up to 100F, so must be controlled by a thermostat. Place the thermostat and thermometer probe under the substrate to prevent the bottom from becoming to hot. Since the frog burrows, this is more important than the surface of substrate temp when using mats. A substrate of 2-3" works best with this and has to be kept moist to prevent thermal blocking of the mat. The tanks bottom should be raised for airflow aswell

There is airflow under the terrarium and I have checked the temperature a cuple of days. Directly on the ground are those between 75 and 80. It's a little colder in the soil. Though he buries all the way down to the bottom.
    Feels like I'm doing something right as he is more active now. He changes places so it is new hole in the ground quite often. He also eats more. Last meal he took two grasshoppers now he took three. But I am not satisfied that it is cooler in the soil, even if he gets hot under him when he is buried.
    Tips on how to increase the temperature of the soil?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

It should be warm enough, are you taking readings from ontop or in the substrate? Mind that our body won't consider it hot since we're warm blooded, but the frog will. Near the bottom of the tank should be warm enough and that's where the frog will be most of the time, not the surface

I have had a thermometer lying on the ground for a while now and it shows 68. Directly on the ground under the soil temperature is between 75 and 80 where the mat is placed. I dont need to be worried then about the heat ?

The soil looks like this every second or third day

Its cleaning day today and the camera sucks. But Hjalmar makes big holes in the soil.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

When using the mat the most important is to monitor the bottom with a digital thermometer as this is where the frog will be and mats might make the bottom too hot, overheating and possibly burning the frog. Your ambient temperature is abit too cool though, which means the cooler area needs to be raised for a good thermal gradient, otherwise the frog may need to stay on the mat for long periods to stay warm. In this case you'd probably be better using a heat lamp during the day as this will create a warm spot and also warm the temperature of the cool side to a suitable temperature for proper themroregulation. When using the bulb, the probe can be placed on top to monitor the temperature underneath the bulb. You can probably use the mat at night for a warm area that the frog can seek out if needed.

Thread Information